Goodbye, for now - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Goodbye, for now

Hi gang,

Well, as some of you may know, I am "retiring" from the hobby -- at least for now. I have no doubt I'll return to fish and plant keeping in the future. It's a lovely bug you can never fully shake

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum -- both moderators and members -- for being such a great resource of knowledge and inspiration. Truly, my planted tank would not have been nearly as successful had it not been for this forum. I had struggled with keeping plants for many years before discovering this network of peers. It brings me great satisfaction to know I have "conquered" the elusive planted tank before taking a hiatus.

If I had any advice for the newbies entering the hobby it would be pace yourselves. There was such a euphoria in the beginning -- buying new gear, setting up the tank, changing the tank around, running out to Home Depot at 1am to buy some tubing. Learning new things, trying different aquascapes, and sharing ideas is what keeps it fun. A planted tank is never finished. Another piece of advice: keep it manageable. Beware of the specter of burnout. There's nothing like having to trim your tank for five hours every Sunday. Low light and slow growers can be your friend.

Some tidbits:

Never leave a Python unattended when filling your tank.

If there are any openings at the top of your tank, Amano Shrimp will find a way out.

Don't let your friends feed your fish.

And thanks as well to Plantedtank for providing a forum for selling off some of my gear. I've been able to recoup about half of what I put into the hobby... my gear is going to people I know will use it well... and now I have a little nest egg I can put aside for fish pursuits in the future.

I bid you all continued success with the hobby!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm sorry to see you go. Best of wishes and luck in whatever you may do. Thank you for the kind words and advise and may your tanks await you until you are ready for them to fill your life so much aquatic happiness. We will be waiting and ready to welcome you back when you come home again.

Cheers

Chris (the CAF 1/2 of TAF CAF)

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 11:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best wishes!
Randy

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
see you soon

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's really too bad. We will miss you for sure.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (103/100%)
Good bye

P.S. you just know there is a nanocube under the Christmas tree
and he's back.

Take care
Robert
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Buckey...

are you a mind reader? okay, I admit I was eyeing the nanos the past couple of days ;P
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Take good care, Steve!

See you around soon!

Mike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Best of Luck Steve, hope to see you back.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I am disappointed that I didnt get the time to get to know you better.. I hope everything is ok.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 03:35 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
AWWWW See ya bud....sorry to see you go, but you know darned well you can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave mwahahahahaaa

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode