Help w/ turning High tech into low tech, Lighting wise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Help w/ turning High tech into low tech, Lighting wise

Awhile ago I tried setting up a high tech 50 gallon planted tank, I failed miserably due to several factors. I want to turn that tank into a low tech planted tank now. It has not had any plants in it for at least a year and I removed all the co2 and fancy stuff. I also moved so things have really changed. Right now I just have a hard scape with wood and stones. It has an ecco ehiem canister filter, a aquatic life t5 ho. It only has one 50 w bulb in it but the back is mirrored and the lights are on legs, about 4 inches high I have a glass cover under that. There is flourite on the bottom and I also have a koralia powerhead. So what should I do with the light? I have a t5 light for a 38 gallon available....or I can make the one I have less intense maybe? I would like this tank to have plants and look nice finally... any recommendations would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
if you feel like the single T5 HO is too much light, you could always try raising it higher. the higher the light, the lower the PAR. I've also heard of people putting layers of mesh under or wrapping it around the light to lower the light level. If you're looking to go no CO2 and little to no ferts, you might want to look into doing a dirted tank. this is a great method for low tech setups.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yes I have heard those ideas. I already have pretty new flourite and the tank has fish in it already so I would rather not re do the substrate, just looking to knock down the light so I can make it low tech low light. I have a nice 25 high planted low tech tank that is doing well with flourite.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode