Curing this dreaded cloudy water! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Curing this dreaded cloudy water!

I've been cursed!

Sorry about the crappy photo, I was too lazy to set up my tripod just to show you my crummy tank.

My plants are doing fine but theres some slight algae growing on them . . . but I fear that is because of lack of C02. Ive been noticing an inconcsistant flow of bubbles in my bubble counter.

The water will grow increasingly cloudier over the course of the week. It may be greenwater, but it's more white that greenish.

Here is what I think might be going on.

a) Bacterial bloom

b) The starting stage of greenwater

c) The micron filter pad in my XP1 needs to be replaced with a fresh one.

I am considering buying a turbotwist Uv sterilizer. but i doubt I will have room for it within my all too crowded stand.

Any pointers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
put some of your tank water in a small white bucket or big white plastic cup. If it has a green tinge to it, then you know it's green water starting, otherwise it's a bacteria bloom.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshop View Post
I've been cursed!
This is what I call the teen years of the planted tank, it is a curse for any parent.. now you see how us parents feel at times when our teens do a say things that are contrary to what we tell you
Your tank is going through puberty.

This is why you should add mulm to a new substrate if at all possible to avoid these things.
Diatom filter or a UV is the fastest way to rid yourself of it, or wait it out.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:35 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
It is inevitable in a young tank. When I got my bacterial bloom setting up my 90 gla, the UV I set up had it clear as a bell within 2 days. I now use it for 24hours after every water change, and it is off the rest of the time, and I am ghlad I have it plumbed in the line. It is a small price to pay for a great convenience.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have had bacterial blooms, and water changes didn't help at all. If you wait long enough the water will suddenly clear up.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Here is a sample of my water in a white cup.

It's a lot more brown than it is green . . . then again that doesn't mean it isn't greenwater.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
im also having that problem, not so green and not so white, if i put it on a white bucket it show likes on the photo, im also thinking of getting UV sterilizer, but it will cost me a lot,

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I skipped puberty using a diatom filter.

Want to see more...check out my website
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
That makes 3 of us. 4 if you count the two tanks I have that have GW. I'm in the process of doing a blackout, but I've peeked once or twice...it's still green as heck.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking of a UV aswell, however it raises several concerns.

1) With a DIY inline reactor, a 5# C02 Cylinder, and my XP1 all under the same tank; I have little if not no room for a UV down there.

2)The UV I have been considering, the Turbotwist 9watt by Coralife, is rated for a flow of, if I recall correctly, 100-150 GPH. Well . . . my Xp1 pushes out much more than that . . . blah!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A UV will clear that up in no time. Just rig something up temporary with a power head and hand the UV on the side of the tank. Run this while the tank "breaks in"

BTW you may be experiencing an ammonia spike or nitrite spike which is causing this. If so I'm thinking that once the tank fully cycles it will be better.

Check Co2. Just keep tuning it up slowly everyday until the plants start pearling, but if the fish start stressing out try running air bubbles at night and consider turning off the Co2 at night.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

I run the C02 for the ten hours that my lights are on everyday. The plants pearl everyday whether I like it or not . . . my fish have never shown any signs of being affected by the C02.

I will check my ammonia, but the last time I checked it (about three weeks ago) my ammonia was at zero, but you can never be too safe.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
I run the C02 for the ten hours that my lights are on everyday. The plants pearl everyday whether I like it or not . . . my fish have never shown any signs of being affected by the C02.

I will check my ammonia, but the last time I checked it (about three weeks ago) my ammonia was at zero, but you can never be too safe.
Is that AS? You can put some (edit) "activated carbon" in the cannister and that helps rid the pee colored water faster, though I never did. Water changes will help. I second the idea of a HOB style UV with a power head. One rarely needs to run them - just every once in a while and you can move them from tank to tank that way. And one less thing dragging down your current. It might be GW, but it well may be tannins if thats aqua soil. It looks like a bacterial bloom to me, or a diatom bloom more than GW. If so, time will cure that. If it ends up being GW, I'd order that TT.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Yep this is my imfamous Powersand/Aquasoil tank.

I tested for ammonia and the test results yield an ammonia free aquarium.

If it is tannins from the AS, why is it it took over a month for them to appear?

If this proves to be greenwater then I will bite the bullet and purchase the Turbotwist. Plus it would be a good thing to keep on hand.

At the moment I am not dosing any micros or macros for I suspected they might be aiding the cloudiness.

I will go down to Petsmart tomorrow and pick up some new Micron Filtration Pads and some Biochemzorb. Hah, two things Petsmart has proven to be useful for: cheap Oto's, and a collection of Rena Filstar media!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Yep this is my imfamous Powersand/Aquasoil tank....

At the moment I am not dosing any micros or macros for I suspected they might be aiding the cloudiness.

I will go down to Petsmart tomorrow and pick up some new Micron Filtration Pads and some Biochemzorb. Hah, two things Petsmart has proven to be useful for: cheap Oto's, and a collection of Rena Filstar media!
Yeah, I'm dosing very few traces myself and no macros (large, well fed fish population). But you might consider just getting a media bag and a cheap box of activated carbon instead of those biochem zorbs (which sound like a kid's super hero). But I really think its a bacterial bloom which will go away on its own.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode