Forgotten wisdoms - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
About 25 years ago, as a kiddo, I had my first planted tanks. Many things were different then... all very low light, air bubblers, no ferts, no CO2, surprisingly some things like crypts and water sprite grew nicely.

I still have many books from that time, and I am looking forward to dig them out and have a good laugh about the recommendations they gave.

One thing I try to remember... there was a plant that you were not supposed to cut, because it's juices would poison fishes. I never heard of that again, and I can't remember which one it was, although sometimes it seems to me like it was Limnophila (Ambulia). Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Ace

PTrader: (0/0%)
I heard that before too.Just lost the name...It is a thin stem plant for sure.
And remember to post what did the books say.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:05 AM
2la

Hygrophila balsamica is the only one I can recall.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
What good books are out there today on plants for the aquarium? A good reference book or would be nice to have (course mind you all you need is plantedtank.net friendly residents )

I have many books from years past but only 2 that are any refrence with regards to plants.

Vierke's Aquarium book (the way the Germans do it) published 1986

- and -

Aquarium Plants, thier identification, cultivation, and ecology published 1977

Vierke's got a large section on plants - it's not to bad - but the other book, while it appears to have been good in it's day, is I think fairly dated in it's information. Not to bad for identifying plants with lots of pictures and information - mind you 1/2 the pictures are black & white:-(

Another Flaming Toy I Cannot Afford!

Pimp Member # 112

---
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftica
What good books are out there today on plants for the aquarium? A good reference book or would be nice to have (course mind you all you need is plantedtank.net friendly residents (
I heard "Aquarium Plants" by Christel Kasselmann is a very good reference. It's on my wish list for Christmas

One of the books I have is "Freshwater Aquarium" by Guenther Sterba, must have been from the early 70's. Problem is that those books are at my parents place, about 12000 miles from here... so I can't just look it up really quick.

Another thing I remember is when the first powerhead came out... it was really too expensive, and I started building my own powerheads. Took motors from fans, extended them with mothers plastic knitting needle, glued on a little impeller made from a bottle cap, some plastic pipe, not submersible of course... sweet memories.

Hygrophila balsamica... doesn't ring a bell either. Need to go there :roll:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Hornwort gives off an algae toxin, but is harmless to other plants and fish

The Aquauarium Plants Manual by Innes Shuermann is good for beginers, as is The Practical Guide to Choosing Aquarium Plants by Barry James, The Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock is pretty good, Aquarium Plants the Practical Guide by Pablo Tepoot is a good picture book with basic info, and Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann is the most in depth plant book currently.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

now is this algae toxin for all algae?? or one particular algae like BBA for instance....? i'mhoping you say greenwater so i can go buy some now! =D

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 06:37 AM

The Book of Christel Kasselmann indeed is a very good book. It's a fantastic reference book for aquatic plants.

It should rather be regarded as a reference book on aquatic plants and their needs, not as a reference book on aquarium setups.

I would recommend underwater gardeners to buy it, but not a hobbyist looking for some information on how to improve their plant growth. It's not a typical beginners book.

sugar
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree on the Kasselmann book. It has tons of pictures, and the info given on most plants is very in depth. Kinda pricey for a book though inho. Unless you are really into plants rare and hard to find and regualr plants as well stick to the lower priced ones. If you are really into plants a great publication is the aquatic gardeners association. Thhe magazine is well worth it
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I see they have that and Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock together for USD102 at amazon and the kasselman alone (secondhand) USD65 ouch

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm I have not seen the other one by hiscock nor have heard anything from any of the other plant freaks about it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 02:28 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The Hiscock book "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" is a nice beginners book, in my opinion. While it is full of photographs, the information is basic, and at times contrary to many of the practices many of us on "The Planted tank" employ.

The $24.95 bookstore price is too much for this volume. Amazon's price of $17.48 is a bit more digestible.

Nice book, but I don't think I would go out of my way to buy it.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode