diy c02 question and lighting question for a novice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
hello everyone,
just bought myself a 4x2x2 aquarium its gots 25 anubis plants in it.the lighting is very low because hopefully i think the anubis dont need a lot of light.because of the hood design i can only fit three floresencent light in it so at the moment it has 2 30 watt triton bulbs will that be enough light for my anubis plants.i have set up a diy c02 consisting of a litre bottle with 2 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of yeast and it is going on to a powerhead and its bubbling away nicely.is that enough c02 or am i wasting my time because i dont have enough light, and how do i turn of the c02 at night because i am afraid of the bottle bursting

sorry about the long post

mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just unscrew the bottle cap a little
I tighten mine again in the morning, give it a little shake and we're in business in under a minute.

Btw, I hope you are running it into a little bottle with water first incase it ever leaks... this way you get almost none of the yeast in the tank....

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 07:14 PM

the bottle's not gonna burst over night...why would it? The main reason people wanna turn off CO2 at night is to keep the ph from going too low, as the plants won't use near as much CO2 at night. This is really only a big concern if you keep fish, and your water has under 4 degrees of Kh.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
the bottle's not gonna burst over night...why would it? The main reason people wanna turn off CO2 at night is to keep the ph from going too low, as the plants won't use near as much CO2 at night. This is really only a big concern if you keep fish, and your water has under 4 degrees of Kh.
Generally I would not recommend turning off CO2 off at night unless you know what you are doing. The fluctuations in PH caused by turning off Co2 at night and then turning it back on in the morning can often lead to problems. In my case it was the weakening of my fish's immune system and the attack of ich.

Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
thanks all for reply.

nordic i do in tend to keep fish just some community fish will they be ok.
my water is really hard so will the ph be ok.

thanks again

mick
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

haha, I'm anything but the expert here but I have been paying some attention here...

My understanding is that hard water is harder to fill with CO2 (this may be a missconception though). I have soft water and I just have to point the CO2 pipe at the tank to get everything pearling... (in fact I am now pearling them with full O2 airstone agitation as well and PH is now more steady).

BTW do you know what your tap water's PH is once it sat out for 24 hours or so yet? It might help us to temporarily get an idea of more or less how hard your water is...(little unscientific i know)

Another understanding I got is that based on the fixed pH/kH/CO2 thing.
Is that with high kH you likeley have higer pH, and may find it harder to get pH down with CO2 alone the harder the water gets...
I believe however that with increased kH also comes smaller pH swings, something I would appreciate , /me is eyeing the coral in the bathroom that I dove out under the ocean at Bazarutho Island...

I think if you take some regular pH test in the begining a few hours after lights on and after lights off, to see what kind of swings you are dealing with, you should be ok for fish, I believe one would try for a less than .3 pH swing (which realy is a large amount).

Rex is gonna tell you to get a kH test kit, so I probably am gonna do the same, that way you can calculate the CO2 levels in your tank safely.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my ph is 7.6 will get some test kits tomorrow thanks for replying so quickly

mick
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Assuming gassed out water would have a CO2 level of between 4 and 5ppm...

Your water at 7.6 would fit the curve on CO2/pH/kH table at a KH of about 6, maybe just a bit more. It indicates that quite low levels of CO2 is needed (beteen 11 and 18ppm) at optimum levels.

This does NOT substitute getting a proper kH test as there are many things that can mess this up.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You say the tank is 4x2x2, that means it's in the 120 gallon range. And you only have 60 watts of light over it? I doubt that's enough light for the Anubias to grow. They might not die but I doubt they will grow. If you get a canopy for it you should be able to get a lot more than three bulbs in there.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 03:21 AM
Ace

I got the same trouble like hixy. My pH is always stuck at 7.6.I didn't shut the co2 hoping the pH will get lower but....nothing happened....need help!!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe you can keep arowana shaped rocks in that hard water of yours, ace. LOL.

Well spotted on the light issue Rex, I am currently using 60Watt over 25gal, and its just enough to grow more plants than algae, (at 80 it gets mad).

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ace: What is your kH? If you can't drive the pH lower than 7.6 it really sounds like you need a more efficient method of getting the CO2 into the water. If you give my your kH I will be able to figure out your CO2 levels.

Nordic: It's all in the balance. You could go with 100 watts over your tank and grow more plants than algae. But it's a faster race with less room for errors.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Ace

Don't play with my arowanas..they are preciousssss 8)

Rex, my kh is 3 dkh only..no idea what to do now.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your method of dissolving the CO2 into the water is not working at all. With a pH of 7.6 and a kH of 3 your CO2 levels are 2.3 ppm which is just about where one would expect a NON-INJECTED tank to be. Tell us more about your CO2 system and your tank hardware. Are you running a cannister filter?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Ace

Rex,I didn't run any canister filter since i started this tank cause i don't have enough SPACE! i run a normal liquid filter,a tetra tec and fluval underwater filter.

The co2 is DIY, fed into the tank by using a powerhead with the liquid filter.
So what's your solution rex?I am waiting..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode