amazon with 1.5 watt/gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
Can an amazon sword live in an aquarium with 1.5watts/gal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
It might be able to live, but not well. Amazons need quite alot of light so it might survive but not be as healthy as it could or grow very fast if at all. They are also very heavy root feeders which means you need to have a pretty nutrient rich substrate be sucessful with them.

Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
I have a melon sword that has grown about 10 leaves in 2 weeks under 1.5 wpg...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I too have had good luck with Amazon Swords with a low light tank. My 55gal tank has just two 40watt fluorescent tubes for 1.45 watts per gallon. One tube does have glass mirror reflector. The tank has only natural uncoated gravel, with no CO2 injection, and I use no fertilizer.

One of my amazon swords completely fills the left third of my tank, top to bottom, and front to back. Granted, its taken about 6 months to do this, but I prefer slow growth plants anyway. I'm not sure, but I think mine is also a melon sword. Perhaps this particular type of sword does better than most in a low light tank.

My other plants in this tank, also do very well. My tank is as lush ( but not as well groomed ) as any tank I've seen. I have say that my plants are all easy plants to grow. As well as swords, I have anacharis, wisteria, and anubias nana.

I've tried more light on this tank, but all I ended up with is a lot of algae. So for me at least, 1.5 watts per gallon seems to be about right.

I am certainly no expert on planted tanks. What I did was to buy an plant assortment package that you sometimes see on the web. I simply kept everything that thrived, and got rid of the ones that did poorly.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:28 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Whoops!! I forgot to log in, and made the above post anonymously.

:hehe:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode