Suicidal cherry shrimps... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I am wondering if anyone has had (or has) the following problem. I bought 8 red cherry shrimp for my 29 gal about a month ago and am down to 1. I keep finding them stuck on the uptake tube of my ac filter. I have removed one, sometimes two from the uptake several times. Depending on how long they have been stuck, depends on their survival. Darn thing is I also have a bunch of guppy babies in the tank and they rarely get sucked in to the filter. Short of putting a mesh screen on the uptake, anyone have any suggestions? The filter's flow is already down to its minimum.

The tank is a community tank (rasboras, cardinals, guppies). I also have amanos, but their larger size seems to keep them in the water rather than the filter. I had hoped that the red cherries would breed, as I had read they were rather prolific and are colorful little guys.

I'd love to try some more, but I haven't found any locally here in north fla, and the shipping cost is outrageous.

Bert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
That is unusual Bert. I have a bunch of them in my 29 gallon tank. I run an eheim Canister and have never found any stuck to the uptake. I do, however, find babies living in the filter every time I clean it. How long ago did this start happening to them?

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Ace

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why don't you remove the baby guppies? you know they aren't powerful enough to fight the 'sucking' machine...

george,your canister has become a mini aquarium for raising baby fish.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

baby shrimp, maybe; but baby fish, no.

George

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The baby guppies, I have no problem with. It's the red cherries that get sucked up! I noticed the problem the first water change after I first got them. It happened to be time to clean out the ac sponges and when I took them out, there was a shrimp in the bottom of the filter cannister. I have two uptake tubes hooked up together (so it is lower in tank for the uptake) and lately, I have found them caught at the junction of the two.

Bert.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hmm....I'm sorry Bert. I really have no idea why this is happenning to you. I have some in other tanks running HOB's and don't experience this problem either. Maybe you bought a bath of "dumb" shrimp!

George

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:22 PM

Eheim has a cool prefilter attachment for their canisters, perhaps you can try something like that.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Why don't you stick a coarse sponge over the intake? The AC mini sponges should work great for that, doesn't look phantastic, but if it saves lives...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 09:24 PM

I had this same problem. I think the red cherries are just really stupid--they want to eat off the intake (probably lots of goodies there) and go in willingly. Then, they are stuck and usually die.

I fixed my problem by drilling some small (too small for the cherries) holes in the side of the intake and covering the intake with a pvc cap with slits cut into it. The flow isn't too great at any one point to suck them up...and they can't get in even if they wanted to.

It is probably not a good idea to place a sponge or cheese-cloth over the intake, as it will probably clog up pretty fast.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, that's a great idea!

Bert.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:14 PM

It depends on how strong the current is and if the shrimp can get "stuck" -- in my situation, the system was pushing (or trying to push) more than 250 gph through a 1/2" pvc cap with slits just the right size to trap a curious red cherry shrimp.

I know the shrimp didn't die and get sucked up because I frequently rescued them and they were healthy and active after rescue. On one occasion, a shrimp was stuck all day while I was at work. This shrimp did not survive--too much stress/suction for a long period of time. It was not dead by the time I got to it (really bad shape though), but it didn't last long afterwards.

Its difficult to say "well, it doesn't happen in my filter so it can't happen at all" -- it all depends on the design, I suppose. There simply was too much suction in my old setup. With the extra holes and slimmer slits, I've had no problems--or deaths.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 02:13 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Eheim has a cool prefilter attachment for their canisters,
You are right Digger, the Eheim prefilter is cool, but the thing is HUGE!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I keep all my red cherrys, 100 to 200, in a ten gallon tank with an aquaclear filter. they love climbing all over the intake tube and feed off of stuff stuck in the intake, but even the smallest shrimp are too big to get sucked through the intake, they have no problem at all.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

that's the reason i don't use filters.....hmmm

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode