HC DSM Time Lapse Video - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
HC DSM Time Lapse Video

I posted this in my tank journal, but thought it was worth of sharing in it's own thread (at least I think it's cool).

I did a DSM with my HC for my office nano tank, and I set up a webcam to take pictures of it so I could monitor growth and eventually make a time lapse video.

The DSM was pretty slow and took 17 weeks to get almost full coverage. This was primarily due to 2 things. I was using fluval shrimp stratum with a little bit of dry ferts mixed in (not the best DSM soil), and I almost killed it all TWICE due to my own stupidity with Excel. Both of the Excel incidents are obvious in the video. It was a fast reaction (< 24 hours) and both of them lasted 2 weeks before the HC even started to grow back at all. In fact the second time I had to buy more HC and help fill in some very dead areas.

It's just one pic per day, except for a couple of days where I made changes (added HC and added s.repens) and the last day (today) when I filled it up. Shot in 720p resolution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
That was really cool to see. Nice tank btw.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
The DSM was pretty slow and took 17 weeks to get almost full coverage. This was primarily due to 2 things. I was using fluval shrimp stratum with a little bit of dry ferts mixed in (not the best DSM soil), and I almost killed it all TWICE due to my own stupidity with Excel. Both of the Excel incidents are obvious in the video. It was a fast reaction (< 24 hours) and both of them lasted 2 weeks before the HC even started to grow back at all. In fact the second time I had to buy more HC and help fill in some very dead areas.
What exactly did you do with excel that had such a bad effect?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
What exactly did you do with excel that had such a bad effect?
I started to get a little bit of mold one the first one because I wasn't letting it breathe enough. I put some excel (can't recall the dose, but it wasn't huge) in my squirt bottle and sprayed it all down. The next day it was obvious that it was very bad for it. It took 2 weeks to recover, which actually put the DSM back by 4+ weeks because of the amount of die off.

The second time it was doing great and in my infinite wisdom I thought I'd put a little bit of my ferts on it to kick it into high gear. I put approximately 1-2 mL of my fert solution on it. This would be the equivalent to 1 or 2 days of EI dosing. I can't imagine it was the ferts that melted it since it was the exact same reaction. Less than 24 hours later it was melting bad. Then I remembered that I had put a fairly strong dose of excel in my ferts to keep mold from forming. DOH! It took the same 2 weeks to recover and put the DSM back 4+ weeks again.

If I did it over, I'd use H2O2 to deal with mold. I'd never touch DSM HC with Excel after my experience. YMMV.

•
•
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
that was so cool!

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I love this video thanks for sharing

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
awesome video. it cracked me up seeing the rock fall.

Will

on Facebook.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
That was really cool to see. Nice tank btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
that was so cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin9 View Post
I love this video thanks for sharing
Thanks everybody! It was fun to make, although annoying having a camera in my way for 17 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
awesome video. it cracked me up seeing the rock fall.
Yeah, it's hard not to occasionally bump stuff when you make adjustments over time. It ended up looking kind of funny as the rocks move around a little. Some of the rock movements were when I would drop my planting tweezers into the tank or something stupid.

•
•
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
very cool

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Fascinating! That is a great video. You can really see how HC can just sit there brooding for days, then suddenly give up and grow relatively fast. Now I know it is a female plant

Hoppy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (77/99%)
applause!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode