I too may have a strange critter in my tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've found 3 of these small worm like things. I've gotten rid of all that I've found. They aren't leaches like in the other post though (atleast I hope not). They look more like a caterpillar. Looking strait down on top of them they are an off-white color and they look like they have dark stripe down the middle. Anyone know what they are? Are they dangerous to me, my plants, or my fish? Sorry I can't post a picture, but I don't have a digital camera.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:36 PM

Are they transparent? Also, have you seen how they move?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

they aren't really transparent. They move kind of like a worm maybe? They get smaller and then longer, smaller, longer :

_ __ _ __ _ __ _ __

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like some kind of larval worm, have you added any new plants lately... Possibly a hitchhicker if you did... Hard to say with out a pic...

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 02:40 AM
Ace

Appropriate concentration of salt might be able to get rid of them...or perhaps an anti parasite treatment?
Do you see any broken leaves or rotting leaves in the plant or fish behaving abnormaly?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

the one thing i remember from skool is that if it's a larva and you can't ID it, try to rear it out to adulthood--adults are usually easier to identify.

throw one in a jar with a bit of plant and some water. keep it next to your computer so you can admire it often. (my leech is reading this as i type it. s/he's getting smarter every day!) it'll probably die. if it's an insect it might molt. if it's a worm it'll stay a worm but if it lives you might make a friend!

how exactly does it move? like an inchworm (and leech) or more by stretching and getting skinny then fattening up like uhhh...well, like an earthworm i guess. do you have any sort of lens to get a closeup on it? if so, any appendages or describable mouthparts? suckers? spiricles?

flat or round in cross section? how big?

you need a camera. worms and gross stuff from fish tanks are very interesting!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode