My outdoor container pond! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
My outdoor container pond!

Set up my outdoor container pond. I planted some hygro compacta that i want to grow emergent, amazonian frogbit and water lettuce.

I often try different fish for it and in the past I have successfully kept red cherry barbs, RCS, endlers, goldfish, bettas, guppies and swordtails unsuccessfully. This year I am trying mollies and they are my favorite by far! (So far) They have lovely colors, come to the surface and are quite active!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	157873  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another shot
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	116
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	157881  

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

One shot with fish
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	105
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	157889  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/96%)
Oooh. That looks nice! I was thinking of trying this with some Pearl Gouramis.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thumbs up

That's pretty cool.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have you had the cherry barbs breed in the container before?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Planted Member

How heavy do you think that thing is? I've been wanting to make a slightly larger version of what you have or similar to put on my apartment's terrace/balcony. However, living on the third floor of my apartment complex, I've developed this horrible paranoia that the weight of my tanks is going to be too much and crack the floorboards since they're creaky

I suppose that it's not as warranted a fear as the fear of placing a large container pond on my terrace, which would hold less weight than the floor in my apartment, for instance, (if nothing else, simply because of the physics, just think about it, I mean the torque and weight distribution and whatnot). That being said, maybe I am worrying for no reason.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Planted Member

Also, how much water does that hold and how many fish are you keeping in there? Is there a filter in there or at least an air stone or something? Just wondering cause I didn't see anything in the pics.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very pretty!

"Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Algae Grower

Love it! I would love to do something similar on my deck.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Oooh. That looks nice! I was thinking of trying this with some Pearl Gouramis.
Thanks! I really wanted to try Gouramis but I didn't want to spend too much money on an experiment!

Quote:
Have you had the cherry barbs breed in the container before?
Not that I know of... the one time I kept them I thought they were dead until the end of the year! When I pulled the plants out BOOM the three I put in at the beginning of the year were still there! I'm not sure if they were mature enough or whether there were both sexes or not.

Quote:
How heavy do you think that thing is? I've been wanting to make a slightly larger version of what you have or similar to put on my apartment's terrace/balcony. However, living on the third floor of my apartment complex, I've developed this horrible paranoia that the weight of my tanks is going to be too much and crack the floorboards since they're creaky

I suppose that it's not as warranted a fear as the fear of placing a large container pond on my terrace, which would hold less weight than the floor in my apartment, for instance, (if nothing else, simply because of the physics, just think about it, I mean the torque and weight distribution and whatnot). That being said, maybe I am worrying for no reason.
The terra cotta pot probably weighs about 40 lbs and it holds maybe 8 gallons, it is my understanding that each gallon weighs 8 lbs so 8x8=64+40= ~104 lbs. When you consider most people weigh much more than 104 lbs and the fact the builders probably assume loads far greater than the average weight of a person I would say you are probably fine even if you want to go a little bigger.

Quote:
Also, how much water does that hold and how many fish are you keeping in there? Is there a filter in there or at least an air stone or something? Just wondering cause I didn't see anything in the pics.
I believe it holds 8-10 gallons, depends on how far I fill it. I only have the three mollies but when I had endlers they reproduced so frequently that I had to start a second container pond just for the excess offspring with both pots with 20-40 endlers. I have kept airstones and heaters in these containers before but I don't have either right now... the outside temps rarely dip below 60F now so I don't feel worried.

As far as filtration, I have never run any really, the fast growing floating plants mixed with the fast growing underwater plants routinely keep ammonia nitrite nitrate ~0. I keep the pot covered every night against raccoons and one weekend I left the top on the entire trip... thats the only time I have had a major die off due to ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. No photosynthesis=no filtration. The levels that occur over a single night must be negligible bc I have even kept RCS in this type of set up.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have you ever had issues with dragonfly nymphs or raccoons? I was thinking of putting gouramis my pond but I'm afraid they would be expensive snacks.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

never had any dragonfly nymphs but racoons are the devil! In real pond the fish should be fine though... in a little container pond its harder to get away!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Note to self: Maintain proper gender ratios with Mollies.

I had two males with one female. The dominant male and the female picked on the weaker male until he died

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode