To Bow or not to Bow. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
For my next display tank I am planning to do a planted discus tank of about 180 gallons. I currently have an 80 gallon bowfront. After having it for a while, I was a little disappointed with amount of planting area it provided vs what a 75 gallon rectangle would have provided, not to mention the somewhat nauseating distorted image. After that I had decided to get a 180 gallon rectangle with the dimensions of 72x24x24. However, I just ran across a 175 gallon bowfront with dimensions of 72widex24middle,18sidesx28high. :shock: So now basically I'm debating between the two. Overall as an aquarium, I would pick the 180 rectangle, but as a piece of furniture, I would have to go with the 175 bowfront since it looks nice and sleek. Anyway sorry for rambling, I'm essentially looking for input/comments/opinions from as many people as I can before I settle on my final decision.

Pros and Cons for each seem to be:

180 Gallon Rectangle:
Pro: More planting area.
Pro: Somewhat shorter, thus somewhat easier to light.
Pro: Somewhat shorter, easier to reach the bottom to plant in.
Con: As a piece of furniture, not as sleek as a bowfront.

175 Gallon Bowfront:
Pro: As a piece of furniture, very nice and attractive.
Pro: It's still more planting area than my current aquarium.
Pro: Somewhat taller allowing more viewing area.
Pro: Somewhat taller, allowing more time for plants to grow between prunings.
Con: Less planting area than the 180 Gallon rectangle.
Con: Distorted Image.
Con: Somewhat taller, thus harder to light and plant in.

Sorry for the long post. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremiah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Personally, I would go with the rectangular aquarium. Since it will be a Discus tank, I would need the extra space for planting and to add pieces of driftwood. Plus, I would save money on the lighting. And in my view, any planted tank can be made the best piece of furniture in the house! By the way, what filtiration are you going to use? And what type of Discus are you going to have?

:arrow: Always buy your Discus young. Young Discus can adapt and grow in tanks with hard water, and a high pH(not too high, around 7.6). They can also thrive with the high lighting your going to have. But one they cant live without is really clean water....Good luck with your tank, we need some pics!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Raul, I currently have about 30 2.5" - 3.5" Discus growing out in few barebottom 55 gallon tanks. I have several strains including Snow White, Blue Diamond, Gold Diamond, various pigeon based strains, etc. Out of all those I will probably pick my favorite 15 (once they've grown up) to go in the large aquarium when I finally get it. As for filtration, the tanks come predrilled with an overflow and sump. Thanks for the kind words Raul, I'll be happy to post pics of whatever I decide.

-Jeremiah

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are you using RO water?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Unfortunately I am forced to use RO water due to high chloramine levels in my tap water.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
Well it all depends what you are going to do. Is it going to be a show tank where everyone is going to see it where you have alot of visitors. I think the bow tank is mor eye appealing from the outside and is DEFINITLY a nice peice of furniture to add to your living room. As for rectangle I think its good because you have more of a space to work with and everything. It's all a matter of opinion. Mine is bow
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I'd go flat-screen, both for the distortions you mentioned, and the problems reaching the back bottom to plant or maintain things, unless you have unusually long arms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Decisions, decisions.... Wish I could get both.... :?

Thanks, for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

Any more opinions... Anyone?

-Jeremiah
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bows are really nice, if you can get a good quality one. There is some distortion, but the over all affect is pretty awesome. You wouldn't be loosing alot of planting space in the bow, a few inches here and there isn't as big of a deal as in a smaller tank. Go for the bow, sleek, modern, beautiful.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 08:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would go for the rectangle. It will be easier to have a canopy if you want to have more light. Plus the bow front is 28" deep. You are going to need waders to clean the tank :shock: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode