Bad Hobby Plant Sellers - Shame on them - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Bad Hobby Plant Sellers - Shame on them

I've had two recent bad experiences buying plants from sellers on another Aquatic Plant webCite.

You might say that will teach you to not use swap here - True. But, I believe both of the suspects sell on other forum and one had a mirror sale thread here.

I will not post names here as that's not really the point of the post. Of course my friend here are welcome to PM me.

The post is more about how to address this an protect the community from unethical sellers. That site like ours does have a Itrader system. While nice, I don't put much faith in it as most if not all comments are from happy buyers. People are reluctant to give Neg. rating as the seller will turn around and blame the buyer. Neither that site or this do/will pass judgement on such disputes.

I'm to the point now, were if a seller doesn't ship on time as promised or the plants were not as described, I make one PM/email and if that not answered with a reasonable offer to correct, I go straight to PayPal and dispute.

While I now some will feel that too hard a stance. After all it's just plants, well many of these issues we face as buyer borderline on mail fraud. when we hit our PayPal send button we expect our plants shipped on the day promised and to be the plants as advertised.

Until buyers stand up and take some action the scammers that hurt the hobby will continue to abuse our trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
I can understand and relate to your experience described but raise the counterpoint for having to deal with poor buyers.

When plants are given away in a RAOK, there's some high expectations. I think its a sign of how society, with short TXT messages and immediate gratification lose sight of being modest and appreciating the extent others go through to make plants available to other hobbyists.

Its sad to say, i find more greedy people in this hobby than actual supporters. The more active folks are deal hunting over pursuing the joys and skills involved with the hobby.

Don't let these dealings bring you down. I've learned to focus on the positive aspects. If the plants in a swap are either mis identified, mis represented or mis packed, you have every right to seek resolution with the buyer. its the appropriate course of action. In failing to find a middle ground, seek a mediator, like paypal. This should be no different to any ecommerce transaction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Depends on the damage, perceived or otherwise. If the mailman ran over the package, try and work with the buyer to get them replacement products. On the other hand, I wonder what people's expectations really are. It has been enough to keep me from jumping into the S&S as a seller.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post
On the other hand, I wonder what people's expectations really are. It has been enough to keep me from jumping into the S&S as a seller.
I think the key is to give an honest description. Images help a lot. If a plant has minor GSA say that! Don't say the plant is algae free and be surprised if you get a complaint. Also, simply do what you say you'll do. If you say "will ship on Monday". Ship on Monday!

Most complaints are because of poor shipping methods, delays in shipping or poor product descriptions. Not to mention the very few that will outright scam you.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I feel bad if my ROAK bits & pieces melt in transit!

I will say that on a cigar board I used to frequent they kept a "Scumbag" List. Dollar values on what was being traded were quite high, so you really had to earn a good reputation to trade in any quantity.

The list was useful in keeping track of known repeat offenders, which were either outright thieves (never sending) misrepresenting con-artists (not sending the brand they promised or sending fakes) or gougers - who would buy from traders at "one-big-happy-family" good will prices, then turn around and sell t retail or online auctions for a profit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Sorry to hear about your luck. I guess I must be lucky or something. I have had nothing but great experiences with sellers on here. I have even bought from people with zero cred here. Of course, I haven't bought any high dollar items here. I guess it makes it less worth a scam if there isn't much money involved.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Really just look at the itrader comments, sure mostly happy customers post but if there are loads of good comments the seller should be legit, if you only see one or two comments perhaps you should be wary. Regarding ROAK I have sent out several plant and snail packages at my expense and have not received one word of thanks from the recipient - not that it's what I am looking for but just saying.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
2 words: ignore list.
Then move on. Still sucks though.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
i dont know where this substitute if out policy came from with some sellers. If your out and/or made a mistake no problem, either tell me or refund me my money but i dont want what you happened to have some extra of instead of what i ordered.

Shipping issues happen. usps, fedex or whoever have been known to lose packages or just screw up. If its on the sellers side again were all human things happen. However the seller needs to let this be known, nothing worse then being in the dark and not knowing where your plants are at.

Another large issue i think is sellers not being clear and buyers not asking questions. If i sell a plant and say its large that doesnt mean anything. everyone will have different expectations of what large is. If say its 6-8 inches or has 5-6 leaves there's no difference of opinion you know what your buying.

personally i have some a few minor issues with online plant sites, but have had nothing but good experiences on this site. However i just cant bring myself to buy anything from new members with no trader info or bare minimum 50-60 posts. Anyone selling with no posts or trader just scares me off.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yeah, I have had some transactions with some plants that came to me in pretty rough shape, I guess I am just glad I have more than one tank so I can monitor new plants I get and clean/cut/top before putting into a main display.

It becomes difficult sometimes for many of us, I assume, like myself, that don't have access to many of the really neat and more rare/unique plant species at LFS.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
As a seller and buyer theres always that risk. The best thing is to weed out the Aholes and ban their ip address from the site. Then buyers can open a dispute and if they win post the evidence on the forum and shut them down permanently. Save everyone time and money.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
I dont do business with someone unless I recognize them as a frequent and knowledgeable contributor to the forums.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I am far from being a novice buying & selling. Not only as a hobby but as a career. I'm not referring events out of ones control, I'm talking about outright scams and disrespecting the terms of the deal.

I hate to see the issue trivialized as these dishonest few are a bad reflection on our hobby, site(s) and community.

I have to think that with enough PayPal disputes eventually PayPal willsay enough and pull the plug on the scammers.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hate online scammers, I try to be a fair buyer and follow forum etiquette and normally things are fine and fun but then some douchebag comes along and ruins the fun.

Last year I paid for a marineland doublebright light and guess what never showed up in the mail? After a couple emails suddenly the seller stops replying. I filed with paypal and ended up with nothing but karma is a bitch.

I hope things come up green for you dogfish.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
I used to frequent they kept a "Scumbag" List. Dollar values on what was being traded were quite high, so you really had to earn a good reputation to trade in any quantity.

The list was useful in keeping track of known repeat offenders, which were either outright thieves (never sending) misrepresenting con-artists (not sending the brand they promised or sending fakes) or gougers - who would buy from traders at "one-big-happy-family" good will prices, then turn around and sell t retail or online auctions for a profit.
I think this is a fairly good idea however, with how litigious people have become we are forced to speaking behind everyone's back via PM.

I feel the same with vendor reviews actually, if you give bad service or faulty product you should expect to be called on it. Retaliating is putting energy in the wrong direction.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode