The age old question, How many fish can i have? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I just wanted to get some opinions and thoughts from others on this...

i have owned many fish tanks in the past,(never really a "community tank")
people always asked how many of x fish can i have in my tank before its over crowded ect. i always said the biggest thing is filtration,there is never too much. now i havent read the entire forums but i have been lurking around and do not see too many people talk about it. granted i know this is a planted forum and plants are natural filters along with cleaning crews.
so the question would be:
how many neon tetras could i have in a 20gal long?
i have a filter for 60 gals... basically it will turn the water over 3x.
i would love to have a giant school.

btw,,, i put community tank in quotes b/c all types of tanks are community tanks in their own way....

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-11-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I found the easiest way to go is to use:

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

It is a great site for figuring out your stocking. It isn't 100% foolproof, but for most people it is great.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 - 30 would suffice in my opinion.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks,, looking for some past experiences or reasons why you think x amount of fish is good/bad/too much?

that aqadvisor is pretty cool
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
my rule of thumb is inches per gallon. for instance, celestial pearl danio are a bit under an inch long. thus, you could have twenty CPD, maybe a bit more. neon tetra get a bit over an inch, so get 20, maybe a bit less. if you have more filtration, and a heavily planted tank, now you kinda toss out the rule of thumb and say "more than that."

for instance, I have a 20 gallon high. I have ten CPD (.75 inches), 3 neon tetra (1.25 inches), 5 emperor tetra (2 inches), one albino BN pleco (2.5 inches). So that's about 23.75 inches for a 20 gallon tank. However, my filtration is an Aquaclear 30, an HOB a bit bigger than the 20 you'd get for a 20 gallon, and my tank is pretty darn planted. Thus - shrimp! I have about 17 Neocaridina heteropoda shrimp in the tank that can get up to an inch long.

So everyone in this community tank is getting along swimmingly (well, the shrimp are hiding from the new CPD adds, but they should come out eventually - some of the Blue Rili already are, and one big Fire Red, and one juvie Pumpkin) and there's no sign of distress in terms of oxygen deprivation or water parameters fouling beyond the ability of the nitrifying bacteria and so on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jahn; 06-11-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Neos!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice set up.... i have always "overstocked" my tanks and rarely have had a problem. most problems i have run into are due to my laziness to not qt them properly
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple

I punched up an AQAdvisor profile anyhow, and here we are. It gives a temp range ideal if you consider all the fish collectively - If I could have the tank get under 76 degrees during summer that would be nice, but it usually hangs around the high 77s. I do like how the AQAdvisor tells me that i need wood for my Pleco, and how my Neon tetra need a few more Neons to be happy, and if I add a Ram, bye bye to all my shrimp. Never hurts to get advice on stuff like that:

Recommended temperature range: 73.4 - 75.2 F.
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.
Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 101%.
Recommended water change schedule: 28% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 96%.

--

So according to this, I could probably grab a few more neon tetra, but i think i'll let the CPD and shrimp get comfortable with each other for now.

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

no snails?

i was thinking about this:

Last edited by flukekiller; 06-06-2014 at 12:48 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ugh, don't remind me! I pluck every pond snail i can find, down to 1 or two a week so i think i'll leave them alone for now. Ramshorn i actually do wish there were more of, but there's probably only 5 very tiny ones here and there. And maybe two malaysian trumpet snails total. The main cleaning crew though is my pleco.

Looks like you can get more fish with that bioload - how about getting 10-12 Celestial pearl danio? 5 might be fine for bigger fish like emperor tetra, but the CPD are tiny and like to shoal in bigger numbers.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i could do like 5 cpd and another raspora

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode