Hazy water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a problem with hazy water )not cloudy).
My 75 gallon planted tank has been set up for 4 weeks. I probably have easily 175-200 assorted plants (mostly fast growing). Plant growth is excellent. Algae is basically non existent.
I have 7 true SAE’s as well as 6 Lemon Tetras. There has never been any ammonia or nitrite and I wouldn’t expect to have any with the amount of plants I have. I have had the SAE’s since day one and hadn’t fed them. I just got the Tetra’s and have fed them lightly. With regards to the tank itself, I have 4" layer of flourite with Duplarite G (Dupla's laterite) mixed in the bottom 1/3 layer.
- Heating cables under substrate.
- Eheim 2217 cannister filter.
- Water is 100% RO/DI with Seachem Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer. PH= 6.9, GH= 6-7 dkh, KH= 4 dkh. The other parameters are:
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate all = 0.
- Compact lighting- 260 watts. Presently have half the wattage on 8 hrs a day and the full 260 watts on 4 hours a day.
- Pressurized CO2 system with controller.

I did the first water change at 2 weeks (15%) and have done the same each weekend and the water looked crystal clear. I started dosing small does of Seachem Flourish and also their iron about 2 weeks ago. A week ago (on Saturday) I added their potassium (also like a half dose to start). At that time the water was crystal clear. On the following Tuesday the water looked a little hazy (3 ˝ weeks after tank was set up) and still has. It is not cloudy at all and really to consider is hazy you need to look at the side of the tank looking long ways. I did another water change yesterday and added the fertilizers mentioned above, but I also added Seachem Flourish root tabs to the substrate.

Would you have any idea as to why the haziness? Could the potassium be the problem? I kind of sounds like a bacterial bloom but why now instead of the beginning? I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 08:15 PM

It's still early to tell exactly what it might be. The tank is still young and it could still be in a stage where it might suffer from a bacterial bloom. Many algae blooms also start out looking like a bacterial bloom and then progress into green water from there.

I noticed that you use flourite in your substrate though, and most likely what it is is suspended clay particles. I had the same problem, but ran my tank for 2 months before I decided for certain that it was clay.

Flourite particles can be so fine that the filter can not filter them out effectivley. In this case you have to use a flocculant to bind the particles together into larger pieces that the filter can deal with.

You can get a flocculant at pretty much any pet store or "uber store".
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

sounds like bacterial bloom

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Ace

Try to inject good bacteria into the water if you suspect it is bacteria bloom.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

"good bacteria" ????

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode