Leaving the hobby. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Leaving the hobby.

I'm sorry to say that I'm leaving the fish keeping hobby. It was great while it lasted, but I guess I've kind of just lost interest. Maybe I'll try birds. Anyways, I want to sell my whole set up, fish& all (preferably).So, Let's say the buyer does buy my set up. Where Should the livestock ( 1 pearl gourami, 2 bronze& 2 albino cories, 2 pygmy cories, 5 cherry barbs, a lone neon tetra, 2 nerite snails, one bolivian ram, and enough plants to fill up a 20 gallon) be, since the tank will have to be drained prior to the buyer coming to pick up the tank. I don't really have any buckets that would be good for the fish to stay in.
Btw, I'm sorry If this is the wrong section for this, I couldn't really find one for this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
You can try to donate them to the LFS or you can try to see if anyone in your area are willing to take them off your hands (you can post in the classifieds here).
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm only 14, so donating it wouldn't really be the best thing for me since the bird hobby, much like fish keeping, is also pretty expensive. I called my LFS, and the owner said that he "Doesn't do used." But if I post in the classifieds here, then my original question still stands.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPleco View Post
I'm only 14, so donating it wouldn't really be the best thing for me since the bird hobby, much like fish keeping, is also pretty expensive. I called my LFS, and the owner said that he "Doesn't do used." But if I post in the classifieds here, then my original question still stands.
Why not do both at the same time? I breed finches, doves, and have several parrots.

Also an aviary.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Boy would I love to, but like I said, I'm only 14. And my mom doesn't really like animals in the house. It's a miracle that I convinced her to let me get fish.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)

A bucket, a larger plastic container, a large stew pot, containers from bird seeds, pretty much anything that is clean and can hold 3-5g of water will do while transfering the setup.

Couple of ideas to consider:

Do a good deed and donate the whole thing to a retirement home, convalescent facility or such and volunteer a couple of hours of your time for the upkeep. You get to see your fish, you make others' lives a bit better, meet people, gives your life a purpose. A selfless act like that will pay back x1000. Maybe your parents will see you in a different light and pitch in for the new hobby, maybe the new people you befriend will add a $5.

What I am trying to say is there are lot more to life then just $$ or hobbies: do good for others, without expectations of being paid for it, and you will be amazed at how many people will respect you for that and give back in many, unexpected ways.

Check out jumpstart.com (?): you can describe what you want to do, your interest in a new hobby and complete strangers might give a $1 or $5 to help you to brighten up others' lives. $1 from hundreds of people adds up pretty quick.

Be giving, be a good citizen, help others and your own dreams will come true.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't think there are any places like that near me, but if there are I will check and see if they are interested, but it would still have to be pick up.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
...but it would still have to be pick up.
If there is a will, there is a way.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well said OVT, great idea about donating to a retirement home. Retirement or adult care homes are very somber places, so you could really brighten some faces there. I used to visit my grandmother before she passed at her retirement home. You would be amazed how the smallest little thing would be talked about or discussed and be the center of attention. They would love to stare at the tank and see how things progress just like we do. You would get a lot of out it, and perhaps change your view on things. And if nothing else it would look good on your college applications in a couple years, to say that you volunteered at a retirement home and started a pet habitat for them.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Actually, I just read you live in Lilburn, I grew up in the Lawrenceville area, right next to you. There are quite a few retirement homes in the area. It's been a quite a while so I don't remember the names, one may be called Gwinnett Terrace, it's off of Hwy 29 behind what used to be a Krogers there. Check out the phone book under, retirement homes or adult care. Gwinnett county is one of the most populace counties in Ga. A 20 gallon tank can be moved in most cars, drive slow and put some cushiony towels underneath it. If you discuss with your parents what your plans are, I believe they would be happy to help you.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Doesn't sound like you're a good candidate for keeping birds right now.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's not that I just jump around from one pet to another. Though I have only been keeping fish for 3 years (not including multiple years of goldfish in bowls). It's because I don't really have the time for maintenance anymore with AP Classes & Possibly a job. But I do love having pets, so the next best thing for me is keeping a cockatiel.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Think about what is fair to the animal - if you don't have time for maintenance on a planted tank (which is minimal unless it's "high tech") then you don't have time to take care of a bird. I come not only from a fish background, but also various parrots. They're not a throw away item that can be neglected. The novelty will wear off, trust me.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A cheap 5 gallon plastic bucket works pretty well for transferring quite a few fish at a time. You presumably wouldn't have the fish in the bucket for very long, so they should do pretty well, especially if it isn't real hot that day. I have done that a couple of times successfully, and a couple more times I used that to hold the fish while I replaced the substrate.

Hoppy
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 AM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
It's not that I just jump around from one pet to another. Though I have only been keeping fish for 3 years (not including multiple years of goldfish in bowls). It's because I don't really have the time for maintenance anymore with AP Classes & Possibly a job. But I do love having pets, so the next best thing for me is keeping a cockatiel.
If you don't have time for keeping fish, you definitely do not have time to properly care for a bird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode