High PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
High PH

My water here has very nigh ph 7.6 is this a sign of hard water??? Water is high in iron do,I need DI\RO water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/96%)
My tapwater has a ph of 8, and I raise fire red shrimp perfectly fine
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Middle of the road is 7.0 ph. So technically your water is slightly hard, but I don't think you need RO/Distilled water. Depends on what you are keeping or plan on keeping. If you are wanting some specific fish or shrimp that needs acidic water (below 7.0) then yes you would need special water or some form of treating your current water. It is a much better idea to use the water you have and just plan on your inhabitants around that. Meaning get some fish or shrimp that tolerate or even prefer water in the 7.6 range. That way you aren't treating your water with chemical softeners or buying RO water for the rest of your days. Most fauna and flora likes stability so as long as your water is always around 7.6 you should be good to go.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (74/100%)
Just get some peat moss or driftwood in your tank. Water from my tap is 8.5 ish and my tank is at 7.4 after the peat and driftwood.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't trust the readings you get straight out of the tap, if you let the water sit around for a day or two, some of the results might change.

Also, I believe most tanks start to trend slightly acidic after a while, so unless you have some sort of carbonate rock/substrate or other buffer, the pH in an established tank using tap water would probably be a little bit lower then what you are getting out of the tap.

And, yeah, as j03y YunG mentioned, driftwood and peat release tannins and humic acids that help to lower both the pH and the hardness, and many tropical fish and plants come from environments rich in these.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode