Success -- the hardest part - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Success -- the hardest part

After a couple months of hard work and far more money than my wife would approve of my Misfit Miscellaneous Tetra tank is complete. The only important compromise was giving up a canister filter (Fluval 206) for a HOB (AquaClear 50), which opened up space for 5 lbs can of CO2. A lesser compromise are the fish themselves. I had planned on 20ish Cardinal Tetras, a show piece Blue Drawf Gourami as the star of the show. All with some supporting characters. That didn't workout. Instead I end up populating the tank with lone tetras I would find at the local pet stores. The cast has settled into six Red Eye Tetras, covering the high ground; five Blood Fin Tetras handling the lowlands and three Cardinals taking the mid ground. The support cast members are three Cory Cats (all rescues) and a Chinese Algea Eater. There were more rescued tetras but none healthy enough to be with us today.

My 29G tank is flourishing: the fish seem happy, the plants are rapidly growing, the CO2 in balance. There in lies the problem: everything is good. There is nothing else "to do" with the tank other then keeping the plants from overrunning the tank. I bought a battery backup* for the tank today at CostCo partly just to do something with the tank. I was planning on getting the tank its own UPS, but I didn't feel the need to rush a purchase as the tank was plugged into the UPS that covers my entertainment system -- I keep on my stuff on UPSs.

Victory has defeated me.

* the UPS is rated at 1350Va, my tank's hardware puts zero load on the UPS and can run for 99 minutes in the event of a blackout (according to the UPS's display). Blackouts are more common than you would guess here in Honolulu. I come home at least once a month to my clocks blinking at me. Recently a drunk took down the power by wrapping his car around the poll.

Last edited by King of Hyrule; 06-10-2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: I'll shut up now, as some people have real problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Algae Grower

great to hear of your success and therein lies the problem. I feel your pain. You could start planning for a new layout or refining your current one with plants or hardscape
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Give it time. As the tank shifts and things change, you'll be back to fighting problems in no time!

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
hmm, you could upgrade your stock hood light and get a fun RGB LED light with a remote - fool around with different lighting schemes and such. also, you could add a backlight? i did both of those things and it has added to the visuals a lot. btw i hear you on the random tetras, i ended up with 3 neons and 6 emperors after the dust settled (and 10 CPD and shrimp and a pleco).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Just start another tank - or try a bowl/vase ... why do you think we all wind up having multiple tanks? hee!

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Introduce snails, and then start the endless struggle for control of their population. That should give you something to do.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've never sweated power outages in freshwater tanks, and that's not even living in a tropical area.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Congrats on a great tank. But as other stated, the fun doesn't stop there. Fish will need to be replaced eventually, plants need to be trimmed, replanted etc. Maybe try breeding. It is challenging and has it's rewards. You could sell to other in Hawaii and help them out.

I do feel your pain though, and agree with Alyssa, another tank sounds like its around the corner for you, haha.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
hmm, you could upgrade your stock hood light and get a fun RGB LED light...
Funny you should mention that. The stock hood is hiding a Finnex FugeRay2.

Snails. Bastards. I'm already seeing them. I have two pea puffers on snail patrol at my work tank (picture below). I take the snails to work to feed the puffers, every few days. The picture is pre-water change and taken just after adding all those plants on the right of the tank. Today, I started the tank on CO2 with my old CO2 setup. I've been kicking around replacing this tank with something bigger (maybe just taller). As a work tank I have to consider my coworkers.

I also have a 10G tank, here at home. My earliest attempts at a dirt'd tank. I need to pull the whole thing apart, and start over with it. I just don't feel that motivated. I was even thinking about scrapping it.

So there are lots of little to big projects I could work on.

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
The hobby is growing plants and maintaining fish/inverts at levels they thrive at a point they are ready to breed. The hobby is not about shopping. It's not a build it & done project.

Enjoy your tank, strive for optimum conditions, propagate your existing plants to the point you need to prune/remove excess growth.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Success in one tank means you will soon have another

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Hyrule View Post
Funny you should mention that. The stock hood is hiding a Finnex FugeRay2.
Sneaky!

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode