My tank has been running for 6 months now and the tank looks quite nice
and the plants are growing but I don't think that they are growing fast enough as I am getting green hair algae on the plants.
The Micrathemun umbrosum is a good example initially growing well but has died back.
Green fur algae has started to choke the hair grass at the moment more at the front of the tank.
I would be interested to hear comments or any advice.
The set up is as follows
It is a Juwel 96 litre that has a large internal box filter. I have removed the bottom 2 sponges and replaced them with siporex.
The CO2 system is mostly Bioplast the reactor is fitted to the pump outlet all of the pump output goes through the reactor this does throttle back the pump water flow quite a lot, yesterday I added a small internal filter a fluval 1 as the water circulation was not very good.
I am using bubble counter and have set the needle valve on gauge at a bubble every 4 seconds. Am using a Bioplast gauge fitted with an adaptor to a commercial CO2 bottle, as it is much cheaper.
The substrate is a 3-inch layer of 1mm lime free gravel on top of Sera floradepot substrate.
Am using rainwater and adding sera mineral GH plus and and KH plus to set the GH to about 4 and the KH to 3.The pH is 6.8
Have planted with Crypto wendtii hairgrass and hygrophila and echinodorus osiris ( the substrate is covered with plants ) and have added amano shrimps and 5 ottos to keep down algae. I did have 10 shrimps but have now got 6 left I think the others died.
A month ago I added 6 guppies and 6 cardinal tetras
Have two Sera brilliant daylight 6000 Kelvin tubes with reflectors in lid.
I tested the water today with Sera test kits the values are as follows
NO2 less than 0.1 mg /litre
pH about 6.8
PO4 0.1-mg litre at the most is probably lower than this as test kit is hard to read at this level
FE 0.25 mg litre
I change 50% of the water about every 10 days and add 20ml of Sera florena plant fertilizer I was adding more but cut it back when I started to see algae.
Sorry its a lot to read but have tried to cover everything.
The nitrate levels were originally zero and the plants stopped growing completely so I added Kent botannica nitro plus (a Nitrate additive) and the plants stated to grow better but not fast enough to stop the algae growing so I am going to add botannca phosphate additive (carefully!) to bring the phosphate level up
I think that I am getting there but need a bit of help in getting the tank balance right