Amazon swords unable to survive in my 50gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Amazon swords unable to survive in my 50gal

It took me awhile to get to asking the question, since all 7 amazon swords have already melted away in my 50gal, but.... why?

It's a Seaclear System II 50gal. The current is very strong. Do swords melt under strong current?

It also seems like my dwarf sag is unwilling to spread into the areas where the current is stronger. They've spread into a dense, neat oval-shaped safe zone where the branches and rocks deter the current. LOL

Is it just me, or is this current-hating actually a thing?

Life is full of regrets. I wish I'd just gone the normal Takashi Amano route instead of this crazy Seaclear System II. It looks like nothing wants to survive in here except for moss.

Yeah the tanks been running for 2 and a half years, all specs are fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
i had swords survive the onslaught of half a dozen ranchus with oversized cheeks and lips for years... these plants ought to be pretty hardy.

what are the temps? type of light?

I recently rehomed a massive sword in my forgotten planted tank which someone had gifted to me though it was 6x smaller back then

my tank ranged from 68-79 with slightly acidic water and 4 t5 plant bulbs in a 17g tank. Since it was formerly a reef tank, there's an overflow with a massive powerhead creating a ton of current in the tank. The stems never took off in this tank but the swords loved it.. I'm sure your tank must fall somewhere between these two tanks somehow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Are you dosing anything? Swords are root feeders and appreciate nutrient rich substrate or root tabs along with good light.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use eco-complete, though it's been sitting in there for 2 and a half years already. Maybe the nutrients have already drained out by now?

Temp is 72~78, depending on the season. I live in Southern California, so weather isn't much of an issue here.

Just one T5HO bulb.

pH is 8. Maybe pH is too high?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Eco complete doesn't have macro nutrients. Its a rather inert substrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
I use eco-complete, though it's been sitting in there for 2 and a half years already. Maybe the nutrients have already drained out by now?

Temp is 72~78, depending on the season. I live in Southern California, so weather isn't much of an issue here.

Just one T5HO bulb.

pH is 8. Maybe pH is too high?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Definitely your lack of substrate ferts. I've never tried amazon swords for years until just a couple months ago. My tank uses turface (like light colored Eco complete). It's just an inert fire blasted clay gravel with high cec. I use two HOT5 bulbs and my sword is growing like a monster. Dwarf sag as well. My ph is 8.3 as well. The main difference. I have an inch layer of super nutritious mud under the gravel feeding the roots.

Definitely pick up some root tabs for your root feeders. You'll notice the difference within a week or two
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Definitely your lack of substrate ferts. I've never tried amazon swords for years until just a couple months ago. My tank uses turface (like light colored Eco complete). It's just an inert fire blasted clay gravel with high cec. I use two HOT5 bulbs and my sword is growing like a monster. Dwarf sag as well. My ph is 8.3 as well. The main difference. I have an inch layer of super nutritious mud under the gravel feeding the roots.

Definitely pick up some root tabs for your root feeders. You'll notice the difference within a week or two
Ahh, thanks for the reply!
Definitely doing that... especially if my dwarf sag could spread too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode