My new tank setup .. help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new tank setup .. help

Hello
I'm new to this forum.
I'm setting up my new tank , so needed some advice from experienced ppl before i start.

this is what i have got for my iwagumi setup

1. tank - 48 x18x18 (inch) tank ~247 liters
2. 4 x 54 w t5 HO light
3. substrate ; - Ada amazonia 3 x9litres, amazonia black soil x 3liters
4. rocks
5. biopro 1200 filter
6 external inline heater 200 w
7. plants: - weeping moss x1 . christmas moss x1, hemianthus cuba x6
elecocharis acicularis x5, hydrocotyle japan x3
5. Co2 2kg
no fish at the moment.

my doubts are

1. do i need to use fertilizer when i set up
2. how to prevent algae ( should i use duckweed floating plant) to suck up the extra nutrients
3. do i need to alter the lighting setup
4. what temp should i set the heating.

please any help help would be highly appreciable.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Algae Grower

How will your be cycling the tank?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you are not hanging the light i would NOT run all 4 bulbs. That's a ton of light.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First of all thanks for the reply. Could you pls tell me how many bulbs should I use.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hemianthus cuba and elecocharis acicularis ground covers take up alot of nutrients once they get settled in, so you'd want to dose soon especially with a high light setup. On the other hand, ADA substrate leeches ammonia early on. This can cause green water or other algae issues. Make sure your CO2 levels are good to match lighting levels. If you don't have particularly demanding plants, lower lighting levels may be easier to manage? Personally I think your lights are fine.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how can i determine the amount of co2 required. what would be the optimum temperature. the last thing i want is algae in my tank. do i need fertilizer, could anyone suggest a good fertilizer.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

Look here for lighting.

It can be daunting, I find the chart the most helpful, I would agree that is too much light if not hanging

Imo, your co2 should be as high as livestock allows, especially with 4x54w t5ho,

I used 2x54wt5ho on 55g without hanging and had terrible algae issues until I raised the light and reduced photoperiod to 8 hrs

Ferts....yes check out this

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
—KV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update...

After much tears and pain, i have setup the tank. photos will be uploaded shortly
but there is a problem, the water is cloudy(ada amazonia), because the water was murky when i first added some water. now i have done 25% water change today. but it is still cloudy
wat am i doing wrong here
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi all
set up my tank, has been cycling for last 3 days. did ammonia checkup also water change for 2days as level was very high.

but there's a thin film of oily looking stuff on top of the tank, how can I remove it. also do I need air pump to add oxygen.

also added couple of fish (blue ram) to the cycling process.

how can I add photos to the forum, bcoz when I tried to add pic it asked for location 'http:\\' but I want to load it from my computer , any suggestions

thanks
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I personally would not have added fish. Your ada is going to leech ammonia. That is all you needed for your cycle. Im pretty sure rsms are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite which you are going to be battling with water changes. My recommendation, as much as you are gonna hate to hear it, is take the fish back and wait for your tank to cycle. I know it is hard to wait. I waited two months recently to add livestock and it killed me inside, but so worth it in the end. You could try adding some tetra safestart but its not gonna help the leeching. Good luck!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
For photos either use an online photo storage place or go to advanced and click on the paper clip where you can attach photos directly from your computer. We NEED photos, your set up sounds really nice!

Good oxygenation is good for all the fauna in a tank, bacteria included. Best way is to put a ripple on the surface of the water with good water circulation overall. Old school was to use an air stone, now adjusting your filter outflow is easily done and no noisy air pump and water spray. A ripple reaching completely across the tank is best, you just don't want to have any splashing. If you have a solenoid on your CO2 regulator turn the CO2 off 1/2 to an hour before lights go out and on 1/2 to an hour before lights go on to reduce CO2 stress on the fauna and save a bit of CO2.

Putting a strong ripple on the water surface may mix that oily stuff back into the water where the filter can take care of it or you can put paper towels on the surface to blot it or you can turn your siphon to the surface and skim it off during all those water changes you are making.

Rams are sensitive fish, you may want to do really large water changes daily to reduce ammonia or return them to the store for the time being.

Since you are using ADA's soil here is a valuable thread on how to start up a tank using the stuff.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168992

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin_m70 View Post
1. do i need to use fertilizer when i set up
For simplicities sake you need to cycle your tank first. This takes at least a month generally speaking. Most of your plants will be fine during this process except for the HC. You can probably kiss that goodbye no matter what you do at this point, sorry.

Once your tank is cycled you will need to administer fertilizer (Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphate, Micros, etc.) from time to time for your plants depending on how strong your lights are, what type of plants you have and your CO2 levels.

Quote:
2. how to prevent algae ( should i use duckweed floating plant) to suck up the extra nutrients
Add pressurized CO2. Raise your light. Use one bulb. Fertilize properly. Don't overfeed fish. Regular water changes (after cycle), all help with algae issues. Telling us more about your particular light fixture, the reflector, the type of bulbs, how it is mounted, light duration along with your fertilizer/CO2 plan will help everyone help you.

Quote:
3. do i need to alter the lighting setup
See #2 (and advice mentioned by others above).

Quote:
4. what temp should i set the heating.
78f, 25-26c works for typical tropical freshwater tanks.

Remember to have patience. Iwagumi setups are not built in a day.

P.S - Return those Rams.

Last edited by Paxx; 06-16-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarity
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the good support
the rams are going to my friends tank for the time being
this is the photos of the setup
the latest one will come shortly
Did 80% water chg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	417.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	159889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	418.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	159897  

Last edited by dolphin_m70; 06-16-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Algae Grower

Tank looks about normal three days past setup. I bet it smells like ammonia. Changing the water every day doesn't help you at this point. You need to have patience and let the nitrification process begin and bacterial colonies to populate. The initial "fog" will begin to clear after a few days once you let the tank settle in on its own.

You will also need to run only one bulb in that fixture, if it is the fixture I think it is, until you get pressurized CO2 running or you are going to have massive algae growth by this time next week. After CO2 is running two bulbs would be about right at that height above the rim for your size tank.

Tank looks great other than that.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

did water changes everyday almost 50% of it.
the cloudiness has started to clear.
pressurized CO2 is up and running, about 2 bubbles/sec. and now I have left the tank for nitrification process.
filter is up and running.
slowly ammonia levels are coming down. checking daily
there is light at the end of the tunnel. photos are coming shortly.
the waiting is very painful.
but I guess patience is a virtue

Thanks for appreciating my tank.

Last edited by dolphin_m70; 06-17-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: forgot

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode