What a trouble - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Ace

PTrader: (0/0%)
When i was looking for a fish shop in a small village looking for sand,a villager told me to look for the sand in the river around.I asked why and he answer that those sand have unlimited numbers of natural fertilizer.I was :shock: and tried that method.(cost my hand alot when digging those sand out) I washed them and put them in my 2 feet tank with some cabomba caroliniana and a light with no fertilizer and boy,next week the cabomba grow to at a length of 12 inch+... 8) so what you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Sand and gravel as such should be inert, and have a low capacity to bind nutrients. So you might see an initial growth, but once the nutrients are used up you would need to replenish them. Cabomba takes nutrients from the water column, so it doesn't matter what you plant it in, as long as there is enough fertilizer in the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 04:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

you sure it's the sand that is causing it to grow?

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Ace

80% cause there is NO fertilizer in the water.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 10:38 AM

Is it sand or clay ? If it's clay maybe it's laterite, after all laterite is formed on the side of rivers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Or there could be any number of organic elements mixed in with the sand. Twigs, sticks, micro organisms that survived the washing, decayed plant matter any amounts of Mulm that you did not have to wait for it to build up. Those could be leaching into the water column and causing the good growth. Nothing from the wild is ever going to be 100% inert when it has that many components and from such a changing enviornment.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 06:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombsc
Is it sand or clay ? If it's clay maybe it's laterite, after all laterite is formed on the side of rivers.
could you please elaborate on this??

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Ace

oops sorry dude.I thought no one is replying to this topic anymore...it might be both cause i am not too sure myself.My best guess is sand.

CJ

I can't get what you trying to say..can make it more simple? :lol:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:20 AM

Quote:
could you please elaborate on this??
Yep, As far as I am aware Laterite is a naturally formed clay soil Laterite is latin for brick as in it's natural state it is red/brown in colour and usually quite hard due to many many years of weathering. Most of the nutrients are removed during this process making it a useless substrate for growing terrestrial plants.
The laterite you buy for aquatic use probably contains something to increase its CEC and to make it safer.
Here is a good link : http://www.dupla.com/e037.htm

There are many more interesting sites, just type 'Laterite' into Google.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Sand is made from crushed coral or clamshell. There is man made sand from crushed quartz rock. Sand contains no minerals. Nothing for plants to feed on. Laterite is made from lateric rock. Lateric rock or laterite soil is from tropical climates and is formed by thousands of years of tropical rains and winds that leaches everything except iron and aluminum oxide. It is very rich in iron and red in color. Terrrestrial plants and crops can not grow in it, but it is thought in tropical waters plants derive iron from it.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Sorry Robert I have seen lots of sand that did not contain crushed coral or clamshell and it was not man made. It was just plain old weathered rock.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode