tips on how to catch a fish in a heavily planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
tips on how to catch a fish in a heavily planted tank?

I need to return my dwarf gourami to the store because he is harassing one of my female bettas, but I can't catch him! my tank is too big (55 gal), he's too fast and my net gets stuck in plants or on the driftwood. I uprooted so many plants trying to catch him. Does anyone have any tips on how to catch a fish in a planted tank of this size? I only have a small net. Would a larger one help?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
drain water..... less places to swim too

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
3 platy in my 20 gallon were crazy hard to get out - they are QUICK and the tank is heavily planted with stems. what i did was use the two-net approach: a small thin net to flush the fish out of hiding spots and in open water, herd them towards a much bigger net that scoops them up as they swim over/into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, get a larger net - better still, get 2 of them - one to herd, and one to trap.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
some tanks its pretty much whatever goes in isn't coming back out. you could try and make a trap (made with a plastic bottle), but i don't think it works too well with gouramis. (more for like plecos/otos/shrimp...)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:39 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Using your bare hands works better than a net sometimes.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
some of you may disagree, but they need to have meds you can add to a tank to really slow fish down so they are able to catch. although it might not be good for them it might be better than giving them a heart attack trying to catch them for an hour straight.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One small net and one larger one helps a lot. Try overnight, when the gourami is asleep, you have a chance to catch him by surprise.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
+1 for trying after lights-out. I used a flash light (a headlight actually) and was able to easily net some of my super-fast rainbows.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thank you, everyone!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
After lights out is best. If possible use a red light to find him. Fish dont see the red spectrum that well so he won't be alerted quickly.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany08fa View Post
some of you may disagree, but they need to have meds you can add to a tank to really slow fish down so they are able to catch. although it might not be good for them it might be better than giving them a heart attack trying to catch them for an hour straight.
Not so much.

Use 2 nets, wait till the lights have been out for an hour or so (dark room, no room lights) Gourami's frankly are not one of the harder fish to catch. You can also leave the net in the water and the fish will acclimate to it's presence, and swim in and out of it eventually. Then all it takes is a well timed grab during feeding.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode