paintball tanks and co2 questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
paintball tanks and co2 questions.

Hi, my planted 30 gallon tank has been up and running for some time now, this is my first fish tank as well as being a planted tank do I've been going over different forums to learn more.
I'm still confused for co2, because I'm doing a low light tank some people said I shouldn't worry , I was considering just adding a liquid like flourish excel or doing a DIY because I have access to fresh yeast.

But I had asked on another forum about co2 from a painball tank and people said It's not the same, as I have some very nice ones that I don't use anymore, and I found a few posts here saying you can buy an attachment for using painball tanks for aquarium co2.

Tell me more?
I have a Empire 68 4500psi Carbon Fiber Paintball HPA Tank, and two other cheaper ones, I know the owner of my local field so fill ups are free, so I'd like to consider this route if its a better way.

Talk to me about low light plants and tetras!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Or keep searching and find this
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=115850
Thank you jaggedfury.

Would still like to discuss with anyone using this kind of system.

Talk to me about low light plants and tetras!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraTank View Post
Or keep searching and find this
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=115850
Thank you jaggedfury.

Would still like to discuss with anyone using this kind of system.

I would go with a regular fixture instead of this set up. With a regular regulator you can have a solenoid which can turn your co2 off at night and they are a lot safer and reliability.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have the GLA paintball regulator and love it. My 20oz tanks last anywhere from 3-4weeks and I use an atomic diffuser(=
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a paintball setup on both of my tanks. One using an aquatek mini paintball regulator, and another using a GLA atomic V3 CGA320 regulator and this adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-CO2-Paintball-Tank-Adapter/dp/B004M49QDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370538833&sr=8-1&keywords=paintball+adapter
Paintball CO2 is basically the same as any other CO2, other than the fact that you will need to fill the bottles more often. You can use pretty much any of the available regulators with a paintball tank, using the adapter I linked above.

I'm not sure about the 4500 PSI tank you mentioned, but I do know that the normal 20/24 oz canisters work fine.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
CO2 is the same whether you obtain it from a "regular" (larger) CO2 cylinder (i.e. meant for home beer brewing), from a paintball cylinder, or from a yeast/sugar mixture.

The only difference would be the level of hassle that is involved (say, with replacing the yeast/sugar mixture on a regular basis).

For more information on pressurized CO2 (in general), you may want to take a look at my Primer to Pressurized CO2 (linked in my signature below).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Paintball set up personal experience.

Tune it very slowly and patiently if already hooked up to your diffuser or anything.
From my experience I get the desired flow I want then attach to diffuser/reactor.

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

Does anyone know if there is an adapter for a GLA PRO or GRO CO2 regulator to be compatible with a paintball canister?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraTank View Post

Tell me more?
I have a Empire 68 4500psi Carbon Fiber Paintball HPA Tank, and two other cheaper ones, I know the owner of my local field so fill ups are free, so I'd like to consider this route if its a better way.
HPA tanks are High Pressure Air and cannot be used for CO2. The free fillups the field is giving you are HPA, they likely charge for CO2 because they can't just run a compressor in the back to fill them up.

EDIT: Guess I should check dates... I will leave that response up in case anyone searches and finds this.

As to the person that bumped this old thread, yes there are adapters, look up Aquatek.

Here fishy fishy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode