LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Arrow found some rocks, can i use em?

today we took a trip to La Grange, CA, and i picked up some rock while
passing through. i just wonder if theyre safe. i did the vinger test, but then
i read that doesnt tell me much just that i would probably need to buffer my
pH. so now im left wondering if theyre safe. i cleaned them, scrubed them, put them in a bucket poured boiling water over them.

1st set:
http://s10.postimg.org/j2f2cxt6h/1st_set.png
2nd set:
http://s7.postimg.org/8geakzbop/2nd_set.png

any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
put em in a bucket for a week and test for parameter changes
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i only have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, would i be testing for everything?
nitrate, nitrite, amonia, ph, high range ph

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yep but the more weeks the more stable. The API Kit is fine, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok thanks for clarifying, i have time to let them sit before starting my tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

It is difficult to ID the rock just by looking. The most concern is that it may increase your ph and hardness, i.e., avoid limestone or calcareous rocks. The easiest way to tell is to use a pocket knife, if you can scratch the rock, it may be limestone. if you can’t, it is definitely not and safe to use. If you can scratch it, then do an acid test, vinegar will be OK, Drop some vinegar on the rock, if it bubbles up, even slow, small bubbles, , it is limestone or dolomite. If not, it’s safe to use.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkman View Post
i only have the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, would i be testing for everything?
nitrate, nitrite, amonia, ph, high range ph
I wouldn't. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are part of the Nitrogen cycle. GH, KH and ph should be your primary concerned as mentioned above for they are part of the composition of the water. Vinegar is a weak base and works most of the time. Find some muriatic acid, its stronger for those stubborn rocks that won't give you readings with vinegar. The longer you can let it sit, the more accurate your results will be for your tank.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sorry to highjack this thread but I have a similar situation. I found some rocks and let them sit for 24 hours. After that time I tested them and the pH dropped by 0.2. I've heard of rocks causing a pH to rise, but what would cause it to lower?

Lower is actually good for me since my tap water has a high pH, but I want to make sure it isn't something terrible causing the pH to go down.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
To test rocks for calcium you can use the Nitrate bottle #1 from your API test kit. It is more acidic than vinegar (I believe it contains Hydrochloric acid.)

And a 0.2 PH drop might have nothing to do with the rocks.

My Tanks:

-
-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just want to repeat that the vinegar test really isn't reliable. Vinegar is typically ~5% Acetic acid (a weak acid). It can sometimes help to try and scratch up an area- this helps to reveal some of the unweathered rock, and provides more surface area (and as wheeling mentioned - if it won't scratch, it's probably safe). Sometimes warming the rocks/acid can help a little, but that's more of an issue if it's cold out. It's also better to try a stronger acid. Dolomite is known for being deceptive when acid testing - it rarely fizzes, or only minimally much of the time.

As to soaking and testing, you are mostly concerned about pH and hardness. When you do it, set aside a glass of tap water (without rocks) to compare it to - test the glass after a day or two, and use that as your baseline. Water straight out of the tap may off gas or be affected by the atmosphere, so the initial readings might differ somewhat from 24/48 hour readings.

And pinkman> the rock on the far right in the first photo - are those crystals on the bottom edge? If you could post a pic of the crystal, someone (probably not me...) may be able to give you an ID on the mineral makeup of the crystal (which may or may not be similar to the rest of the rock).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

just want to say thanks again to everyone for the help and all the
detailed information.
heres a close up of the rock with crystals on the end:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber
And pinkman> the rock on the far right in the first photo - are those crystals on the bottom edge? If you could post a pic of the crystal, someone (probably not me...) may be able to give you an ID on the mineral makeup of the crystal (which may or may not be similar to the rest of the rock).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quartz, which of course is no problem - the rest of the rock is fine too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode