Dehumidifier Water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Dehumidifier Water?

I emptied my dehumidifier and I was wondering if I could use the water from it in my aquarium? Theoretically you should be able to. Any ideas?

The Fraternity of Dirt #133

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
yeah, It should be like distilled water.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your dehumidifier condensate is very likely contaminated with all manner of pathogens, mold spores, etc.

Personally, I would not use it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Plus the condensing coils are probably copper
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

From what I have read nofearengineer is spot on!

Jimbo
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I have a dehumidifier and there is absolutely no way I'd put that water in my tanks.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
That slime at the bottom of the bucket is nasty. I have no idea what's in it so it not going into any of my tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Algae Grower

I am sure you could make a safe dehumidifier for aquarium use. You would have to clean the coils and the collecting bucket on schedule. I would probably add some excel as a disinfectant to the bucket with each use, and for its own benefit as well. But no, an average, dirty, old dehumidifier would give you some nasty, distilled water. Copper is another issue, but since aluminum is so much cheaper, I bet it's not so common.
Good luck,
Dave
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the Info !

The Fraternity of Dirt #133

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I remember this came up in the old usenet discussions...

but, yeah, the general consensus was a resounding NO - copper/aluminum/whatever from the coils, and nasty stuff growing in it, etc.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

I do not see why you could not. Anything in your dehu, your tank would have already been exposed to. Copper- that is usually what your tap water comes to the faucet in. Faucets typically have brass in them, and it is all put together with tin/ lead/ silver.

Mold is not a factor underwater, and the spores are everywhere- you cannot get away from them. Mold needs certain conditions to multiply, and a food source.

The only thing reason I would not is all the dust, lint, aerosols that have been used in the house will be concentrated in the coil of the dehu. But your tank has already been exposed to it, but not as high a concentration.

The real question is why bother, it is a gallon or 2. Just get it out of the faucet when you need it, and throw the dehu water outside or down the drain.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've done it before. Take the unit outside and hose down the coils and clean out the water tray and you'll be fine. The water should be almost as good as distilled. It's
gonna be many times cleaner than the water coming out of your faucets. I did this to soften shrimp water but gave up on it because there wasnt enough.

Something else I tried was collecting the condensation from my central ac. My ac has a pump that pumps the water from the a-coil in the furnace to my laundry sink. Placed a bucket there and collected it. That water had a bit of a smell to it. It smelled like wet mortar mix. I had been doing some brick pointing in the basement. I didnt use the water and would not recomend using it. You cant easily clean the coils to ensure it's safe.

Last edited by RoyalFizbin; 06-08-2013 at 01:08 AM. Reason: stuff
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think this is the bit I was thinking of:

http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/dehumidifier.html
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Algae Grower

I would say it depends on what the coils are made of
can you open the case and see if they are copper or aluminum coils?
if the condenser coils are aluminum then a good cleaning to remove bacteria and other pathogens and contaminants would be about all I would suggest
They actually make large dehumidifiers now to pull water straight from the air, theyre called atmospheric water generators and they make fresh drinking water
same concept but the larger ones are made to be safe for people

aluminum should be an issue but copper can kill fish

I have no experience with either but I have experience with refrigeration
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't think the copper in the dehumidifier is an issue since most residential water lines (at least in my area) are made of copper. It's likely the junk that is going to collect in the aluminum fins around the copper pipe of the dehumidifier that will make the water unsuitable. If you have a way to keep those coils clean I don't think that the water should be unsafe, the problem is that it's going to be very difficult to ensure that they stay clean and probably not worth the effort to get such a small quantity of water.

Tags
dehumidifier, rodi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode