Dirt Kings Please Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Dirt Kings Please Help

My plan is to DSM a 20L for 2 month with heavy root feeders.

Can I use Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and clay with MGOCPM?

The reason I ask is because I just bought Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and Clay for my MTS, but the MTS turned out to be really sandy after my 3rd wet/dry cycle. So, I am thinking about just using MGOCPM instead because I have used this stuff before. However, I have never used it with Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and clay. I'd rather not go through the MTS cycles again, but I could... What do you think?

Attachment 154625

Another question, if I decide not to use MGOCPM.

Can I just dump new a bag of Top Soil in my 20L without mineralization it and start my 2 month DSM? I heard that the DSM will MTS at the same time.

I'm having a hard time finding solid answer to these specific questions.

I appreciate you input/opinion DIRT KINGS!

Last edited by tylergvolk; 05-24-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not a dirt a king, more of a dirt squire.............or maybe just a dirty hippie.

"Can I use Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and clay with MGOCPM?"

From what I've read about it, not only can you, but you are supposed to. The clay helps hold together the mts and provides iron. The dolomite is said to be optional depending on your water hardness. Potash, what could it hurt?

I made some MTS and used pottery clay powder, iron oxide, greensand, a little organic fertilizer and a sprinkle of peat on bottom glass. It's been about a month but the growth is amazing.

Just don't make it too deep or you'll get anaerobic conditions

As far as DSM, never tried it, but the process of microbes "mineralizing" the soil occurs whether the soil is spread thin on a tarp or submerged as aquarium substrate, it just occurs at a different rate.

True, the pic looks a little sandy, but after you mix in the other ingredients it will be a nutrient packed plant growing substrate.

Here's interesting:

http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=1400
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...48&postcount=1
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbot View Post
I'm not a dirt a king, more of a dirt squire.............or maybe just a dirty hippie.

"Can I use Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and clay with MGOCPM?"

From what I've read about it, not only can you, but you are supposed to. The clay helps hold together the mts and provides iron. The dolomite is said to be optional depending on your water hardness. Potash, what could it hurt?

I made some MTS and used pottery clay powder, iron oxide, greensand, a little organic fertilizer and a sprinkle of peat on bottom glass. It's been about a month but the growth is amazing.

Just don't make it too deep or you'll get anaerobic conditions

As far as DSM, never tried it, but the process of microbes "mineralizing" the soil occurs whether the soil is spread thin on a tarp or submerged as aquarium substrate, it just occurs at a different rate.

True, the pic looks a little sandy, but after you mix in the other ingredients it will be a nutrient packed plant growing substrate.

Here's interesting:

http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=1400
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...48&postcount=1

Thanks for the reading material. I'm about to dive right in. I scanned through them and they looks like really good article/ thread. I hope to find the answer to my questions.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've learned that if your tap water is on the soft side you should mix dolomite in the soil.

I also found out that the DSM process of 1-2 months will basically cycle the soil.

I am guessing that using Murite of Potassium and red clay with MGOCPM will be okay, but I'd like to hear from someone who has tired it before. How were your result?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I didn't use any dolomite, my water is fairly hard. Also I just used whatever dirt I found around here (mix of potting soil, yard dirt old houseplant pots etc.) so I haven't used mcopm proper.

I think the idea is:

decaying organics dirty your tanks
dirt contains organics
microbes reduce organics into mineral components
once mineralized it won't dirty your water

The clay is an important part, imo, of mts because:
1.)It provides iron
2.)High CEC
3.)Holds together the mts and helps keep it from floating

Not rocket science though, I view it as "Plants like dirt", just make sure you don't do anything harmful for the fish and you're good

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
—KV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I just dumped bags of top soil into my tanks. Never a problem. Never added anything else either. YMMV

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbot View Post
I didn't use any dolomite, my water is fairly hard. Also I just used whatever dirt I found around here (mix of potting soil, yard dirt old houseplant pots etc.) so I haven't used mcopm proper.

I think the idea is:

decaying organics dirty your tanks
dirt contains organics
microbes reduce organics into mineral components
once mineralized it won't dirty your water

The clay is an important part, imo, of mts because:
1.)It provides iron
2.)High CEC
3.)Holds together the mts and helps keep it from floating

Not rocket science though, I view it as "Plants like dirt", just make sure you don't do anything harmful for the fish and you're good
I think I got it figured out now. I am going to DROP the MTS just because I was more nutrient in the substrate rather than sand. I got MGOCPM already sifted and ready for DSM. My water is on the soft side so I will use a little dolomite in the soil. I never did find any information on useing Murite of potassium and clay with MGOCPM but I'm figuring it is the same and any dirt method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I just dumped bags of top soil into my tanks. Never a problem. Never added anything else either. YMMV
Yea, I'm probably over thinking it. Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
My plan is to DSM a 20L for 2 month with heavy root feeders.

Can I use Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and clay with MGOCPM?

The reason I ask is because I just bought Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and Clay for my MTS, but the MTS turned out to be really sandy after my 3rd wet/dry cycle. So, I am thinking about just using MGOCPM instead because I have used this stuff before. However, I have never used it with Dolomite, Murite of Potassium, and clay. I'd rather not go through the MTS cycles again, but I could... What do you think?

Attachment 154625

Another question, if I decide not to use MGOCPM.

Can I just dump new a bag of Top Soil in my 20L without mineralization it and start my 2 month DSM? I heard that the DSM will MTS at the same time.

I'm having a hard time finding solid answer to these specific questions.

I appreciate you input/opinion DIRT KINGS!

It doesn't hurt to try it. I've been researching doing the same exact thing for my next tank. Adding dolomite (because my source water is low in Magnesium & Calcium), clay, and potash (among other things) to MGOCPM and using it for a 2 month dry start.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode