Ph question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ph question

The water our of our tap is 7.8 out of our RO system it's 6.8. It seems like a lot of the fish I'm interested in (and some of the plants) prefer a lower PH. If I were to use RO water for my tank what else would I need to add besides the normal ferts and CO2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
What is the pH of your tap water after it has set for 24 hours?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good question. I'll set out a bucket tonight and tell you tomorrow.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
i wouldint really know but theres a product called kent r/o right it re adds the nuitrients and balances r/o water it will add kh and gh causing a stable ph but i dont have r/o so make sure with someone else first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, I checked the PH after a 24 hour sit and it's still 7.8.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
Okay, I checked the PH after a 24 hour sit and it's still 7.8.

instead of a bucket full of water, fill a test vile of water.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

For lower pH, unless your kH is sky high (which unless there is something very weird in your water will not be the case) you don't need the RO water, just inject CO2. This will help your plants alot, and won't hurt your fish.

With straight RO water, you will need to add RO right, or the equivalent. Then, you will likely need to add a buffer as well, as you're likely to end up with high pH anyway.

If you mix the RO water and your tap water, you will end up with pH 7.8, even if most of it is RO water.

Bottom line--RO water reconstituted with RO right is expensive. Tap water, if the GH is under 6, will work fine for most plants and fish that like low pH if you inject CO2. If you GH is over 6, consider mixing with RO water to get a lower GH, and inject CO2 to lower the pH.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I kind of figured it wouldn't be feasible to use the RO, but I really love the rummy nose tetras and some of those asian plants that like the lower PH. I'm sure I'll find other fish and plants to make me just as happy. I appreciate the advice.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't see why you couldn't keep those fish. The key is acclimating them right. Perhaps buy them from a supplier that has simular conditions as yours then the risk of shocking them is less. The only issue in harder/ more Alkaline water is that the fish don't breed.

As far as plants in general as long as the plants have plenty of light, Co2 and ferts they grow just fine. Only a few plants need low KH like tonnica for example. Contrary to what you might think harder water may actually be beneficial. The plants use the calcium and magnesium that make up wate hardness. At least 4 degrees of GH is fine. More won't hurt, but the plants don't need it.

Find out your KH (carbonate hardness) and GH (general hardness) This is more usefull then PH.

The KH test kit will be usefull anyways when you start injecting CO2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode