i done killed most of my fish- RANT - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i done killed most of my fish- RANT

wife woke me up out of a dead sleep screaming that all my fish where dead! ran down the stairs and sure enough they all looked dead. my daughter pointed out that some where still breathing, so started rushing around and fishing them out to put in a breeder tank.

it all stems back to earlier today. put my new co2 regulator on a fresh co2 bottle. failed to realize that in a air headed move that i turned the regulator on all the way, when i opened the co2 bottle a loud whistling noise was made. i then realized what i had done. regulator seemed to be fine although the low pressure gage was toast. no biggie i thought. well after hours of OK use, i went to bed. after i had went to bed the regulator had decided to dump the full 2.5lb cylinder into the tank. bummer.

in the end out of 30 some fish, 40 ghost shrimp the survivor list is as fallows;

3 ottos
2 yoyo loaches
1 blood fin tetra
1 phantom tetra
2 ghost shrimp

only time will tell if these guys will pull threw.

im such an idiot.

any one know where i can get a new co2 regulator valve? i just need the valve, the bubble counter, solenoid, and gages (well the tank pressure) are OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 11:30 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
So sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully the surviving finned friends will pull through.

Terri
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
All you can do now is learn and never forget. We are human. UNfortunately we make mistakes. Hang in there. I killed a whole bunch of fish and plants a while back. It;s hard to describe that feeling. Some lessons come at a higher price than others. Your tank will recover and come back with a vengeance. Mine is starting to look good again. Yours will too.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could have revived some of them that looked dead but were still breathing ,by putting them in a net and moving them back and forth on the water surface.I say that because the same thing happened to me and I managed to revive 3 fish that looked absolutely dead,this method should be used even though things may look hopeless.
well you live and you learn.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not sure it will make you feel better, but this link should show you that you are not alone

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...?highlight=co2

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I did the same thing. I killed off some fish that I've had since high school (and that was a long time ago!). I cried for the fish and I was depressed for several days. I HATE being responsible for something like that. I'm very sorry for your loss, but things will bounce back and get better. Hang in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

fish are still acting funny but at least they are right side up today.

its kind of funny the plants are pearling for the first time today. even after a 50 percent water change, three air stones, and baking soda, the ph is still to low to support any fishy life.

i feel the worst about my 4 dwarf goraumi's. they probably died trying to all cram under this one rock. their scales where pretty mangled. found another shrimp alive today, he keeps swimming into the glass full force.

i never thought of trying to revive the fishes, ill remember to do that in the future (although i hope this doesn't happen again). i was in shock, and it didn't help that my wife kept talking about i gave them a death sentence, calling me Dr. death etc. etc.

thanks for the comments and tips guys i appreciated it.

I've never felt bad when a fish died. but this is different, this time its all my fault...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Speaking of reviving, My uncle had a discus tank. He moved to another house, and somehow, in the proccess, the water got freezing, almost to the point of ice. after he got to the new house, he slowely aclimated them to 80 degreesand they started doing somersaults. They all lived.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop View Post
Not sure it will make you feel better, but this link should show you that you are not alone

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...?highlight=co2

that does make me feel a little better. ever figure out what went wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gaboozlebag View Post
Speaking of reviving, My uncle had a discus tank. He moved to another house, and somehow, in the proccess, the water got freezing, almost to the point of ice. after he got to the new house, he slowely aclimated them to 80 degreesand they started doing somersaults. They all lived.
i was thinking of getting some discus. im not so sure now. those are expensive fish to have if this happens again.

the wife said i should get a ph controller. she shays this probably wouldnt have happened if i had one. i think she is right. gotta love my wife.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
that does make me feel a little better. ever figure out what went wrong?
Maybe, but that was a long time ago and one very intense build ago. I still have most of the fish, but the tank is in a friends house... I guess the Co2 regulator is OK as it's on my calcium reactor now

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
ok well I feel your pain. this happened to me and I lost a lot of expensive fish that I was extremely attached to. I did a few things to lower the chances of this happening again. First off, I put my pH controller and CO2 on a timer with my lights. When the lunars turn on, the CO2 also off. i.e. when I am sleeping this cannot happen. I also have an airstone turn on when the lunars go on. If you ever notice all of the fish at the top looking listless, turn on the bubbler and make sure the CO2 is off. Also, since my reg is very irregular, I am having rex build me one to replace the Milwaukee all in one. If you need another part go to www.rexgrigg.com and click on CO2 and select the things of sale option.
OK so it isn't all fool proof, as my pet sitter popped the top of the CO2 canister while I was away last weekend, and I came home to 20 dead amanos and 2 dead rose line barbs....150 bucks and my very fave things gone...so my ideas aren't fool proof, as this fool managed to screw it up...so I truly feel your pain, but a few precautionary measures can help minimize the chance of it happening again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode