add Excel or not - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
add Excel or not

I recently bought a 90 gal tank (48"x 18"x 24").
I have already added a lot of cuttings form my other (100g)tank mostly fast growing stem plants like Egeria Densa , Hygro ,fanout ,tropical hornwort ,red ludwigia,also some slow gorwing plants like anubias ,cryptocorcorynes,two swords ,and a few java ferns.
the tank came with a modified shoplight with 4 x40w T12 bulbs(160 Watts ,~2w/g) and 2 Emperor 400 filters and a heater.
I was just Reading an article by Tom Barr: NON Co2 METHODS which is referring to a non co2 enriched planted aquarium that involves doing next to nothing! , like no water changes!, no pruning!and no co2,the only difference with a high light/ co2 defused tank would be a slower plant growth.Well it sounds good enough to me to try it and see how slow is slow.
I don't even have to add NPK,but how about adding EXCEL? according to T Barr I don't even need to add that because the fish poop is going to provide the nutrients.Could it be that simple?I am thinking maybe I do need a small dose of NPK, and some Excel just to make the growth consistent.
Has anybody tried this non co2 method? or have a few tips you care to share?any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by distrbd; 11-26-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:39 AM
PMD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Add excel or not

I have a 90g tank at work. I am currently using the Non CO2 method that Tom advocates with that tank.

I would suggest you add NPK on a regular basis. I l inadvertently allowed the nitrates to bottom out and I am now dealing with a difficult case of blue green algae.

Anyway, I have changed the water once in four months and weekly add NPK to the tank. I run 170 watts for 9 hours and a noon burst of an additional 56 watts for four hours.

I started adding excel a few weeks ago and I like how the plants have responded. They look healthier, so I plan on dosing it regularly in the future.

I also have quite a variety of plants in the tank.

Good luck with the tank.

Best regards,

PMD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply PMD.
I can't believe you only changed THC water once in 4 months! WOW! so it was not necessary to do it more often and that's good news.
I will follow your advice and add NP and Excel .It only makes sense.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:08 PM
PMD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Add excel or not

I also use three bags of purigen. My water is crystal clear and I believe it is due the Purigen.

I maintain about 50 inches of fish in the tank. Keep the bio-load low to medium and water issues will be minimal.

Regards,

PMD
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Purigen is some the best stuff out there. I use it on all my tanks. This stuff makes the water crystal clear and the best thing about it is it can be recharged!

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Purigen is some the best stuff out there. I use it on all my tanks. This stuff makes the water crystal clear and the best thing about it is it can be recharged!
I Have never used this Purigen stuff before,how do you use it ?is it like powder?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've had a Non CO2 up and running for a round 7 months now. W/c's are about 30% every 1.5-2 months. KNO3 and KH2PO4 is added (very light) every 2 weeks. I use peat moss to raise the CO2 levles.
My plant growth has been outstanding.

At first Excel was used, but I found this to much work for this tank.
Imo It was not needed.

Quote:
no pruning
I wish someone would tell my plants this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamoon View Post
I've had a Non CO2 up and running for a round 7 months now. W/c's are about 30% every 1.5-2 months. KNO3 and KH2PO4 is added (very light) every 2 weeks. I use peat moss to raise the CO2 levles.
My plant growth has been outstanding.

At first Excel was used, but I found this to much work for this tank.
Imo It was not needed.

I wish someone would tell my plants this.
How big is the tank?do you have any fish in it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Do you want to keep it low light and non CO2? Because in the longer haul, CO2 will be cheaper than adding Excel. But there is no reason to in a low light setup. I have a Cherry shrimp tank with relatively low light (barely over 2 wpg) and no CO2 yet. Rarely, I add Excel to that tank, but the only fert is K at water change. Plants are going crazy in there, albeit slowly. Fish food (for some Corys) provides almost enough N & P... More fish and more food/excrement would provide enough, but its a cherry tank... Just my .02

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Do you want to keep it low light and non CO2? Because in the longer haul, CO2 will be cheaper than adding Excel. But there is no reason to in a low light setup. I have a Cherry shrimp tank with relatively low light (barely over 2 wpg) and no CO2 yet. Rarely, I add Excel to that tank, but the only fert is K at water change. Plants are going crazy in there, albeit slowly. Fish food (for some Corys) provides almost enough N & P... More fish and more food/excrement would provide enough, but its a cherry tank... Just my .02
yes I do want to keep it low light.but since i only have 6 inches of fish in there(tank not cycled yet) maybe I should add a littleNpK? and no excel?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by distrbd View Post
I Have never used this Purigen stuff before,how do you use it ?is it like powder?
Purigen
Is placed in a mesh bag if bought in bulk and placed in your filter. It looks like a powder untill it gets wet. It is incredible stuff and is rechargeable.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
How big is the tank?do you have any fish in it?
The aquarium is a 55gal, and has around 37" of fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
yes I do want to keep it low light.but since i only have 6 inches of fish in there(tank not cycled yet) maybe I should add a littleNpK? and no excel?
Probably some NPK, depending on your source water, of course. I always add 1.5 teaspoons of K to 50 gallons of change water to all my tanks. I don't dose N or PO4 generally, but I have lots of piggy Rainbows and Loaches in my 90G, so whenever I check N its OK - or going to be in a day. Almost never dose PO4 since the fish food takes care of that. Even traces are almost covered. But you're low light, so go real, real easy is my best guess. Like I said, on my 2 wpg Cherry tank I'm only dosing K.

Also, when I first started the Cherry tank, the plants looked a bit weak. I did a few ml of my stock traces and that perked them right up. So basically, just traces and K for my 26 gallon Cherry tank with three little Julie Corys has worked well so far. Very little algae. But I have loads of planaria, so I'm prolly feeding those Cherries and Cories too much. I'm pretty sure I always over feed my fish, unless I'm letting them have a fast.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode