what dechlorinator? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What dechlorinator/water conditioner do you all use? I have been using Amquel, but it seems so expensive, it used to be cheaper and I go though it so fast. Is their anything else out there I can use (both planted and non-planted tanks)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
i want to know too......I use stress coat but I doubt anyone agrees with it. Want to know what's better.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Ace

I use Hagen Aqua Plus. Very cheap and really works.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I use Seachem Prime. You can easily buy it in 2 liter bottles which will treat a LOT of water since the dose is 1 ml per 10 gallons. That means that the 2 liter bottle will treat 20,000 gallons of water.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You dechlorinating the harbour? My God Man! Thats a lot of stuff :P

is Prime a dated product with a shelflife?

Another Flaming Toy I Cannot Afford!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Member # 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well you can get it in smaller bottles too. AFAIK it has not use by date, but then again I never seem to be able to keep it around that long. But I do about 60 gallons of water changes a week and fill the tank right from the tap. So in actual use I'm treating 120 gallons of water a week minimum. When filling from the tap you should treat the whole tank and not just the new water amount.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow - just looked up Prime on the Seachem website... Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L

there ya go - 20 liters of Prime:-)

In retrospect... I agree - When filling from the tap you should treat the whole tank and not just the new water amount - something I never considered:-)

But still - thats a whole lotta Prime:-)

Another Flaming Toy I Cannot Afford!

Pimp Member # 112

---
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

prime : i have larger tanks 75 and 55 goldfish tanks and its a lot cheaper to buy 2 l of that and use it forever than buy others and replace every couple monthes
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

Key is to know if you have straight chlorine or chloramine. If just chlorine, sodium thiosulfate is cheap and $8 of it/1 pound will last a long, long time. See this thread:
http://www.awforum.net/angelfish/top...rchTerms=prime

Bob
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
What actually I usually do is put it in a 30 gallon container that I let sit for about 24-48 hours so that way it will do it by itself that I learned from my discus breeder. I will try the Seachem prime scince I am happy with their fertilizers.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 03:38 AM

amquel + rules......just get a lot of it....i usually underdose a bit and let the plants pick up the slack.....
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 04:08 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Seachem's Prime.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Doesn't Amquel+ lock up nitrates?

NyCzBuBba, your method will work if your water contains only chlorine. But will not do anything for chloramines. And most major and many smaller cities have switched to chloramines.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use AP's tap water conditioner. 1 drop/gallon is all it needs.

George

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise
I'm curious. What's the difference between filling straight from the tap versus filling a bucket first that necessitate treating the entire tank's volume?
Well... if you fill the water in buckets (or a reservoir) first, you can add the necessary amount and can be sure all of the water is treated. Example: you have a 50 gal tank and add 10 gal of water. If you do that via buckets, you add the amount needed for 10 gal. If you put the 10 gal water directly into the tank, and add <whatever> for 10 gal, you are diluting the treatment and basically adding only 20% of what's needed to remove chlorine. Hope that makes sense... I need some coffee.

I add water slowly, but directly from the tap, and don't use any treatments. Note to myself: Call the water guys and ask what they dump into our water!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode