a few questions need help please !!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question a few questions need help please !!!

im going to decribe what i have now im currntly setting up an 8 planted fish tank substrate is flourite i have a co2 reactor like this one here Aquaticscape.com
which will have diy co2 and is run by a 152 gph water pump

is that too much flow ???

and the lighting is 24W power compact fluorescent lighting, silver aluminum hood, with
polished reflector, acrylic lens. 50/50 daylight/actinic blue bulb

is my lighting enough or should i go higher ???

ok i have read about some of the filters you guys use on the forum and was wondering what kind i should get for my 8 gallon

should i go with a canister filter or a hob filter ???

what kind would be best at cleaning the water ???

what kind of fish could i have and how many ???

i would like to have a schooling type fish with mabye 2 other kind that dont school and i would also like something that would be good to eat algea

shrimp or snails which are better algea eaters ???

what kind of water tests should i get ???

thanks for your help
joey :0)

Last edited by joejoe123; 09-08-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
well i can answer one or two of your questions. i'm still pretty new at this myself. i DO know that your 50/50 bulb is of no use. you need to go with a temp of somewhere between 5500-10,000. the actinic will only increase algae growth in your tank. the wattage seems to be enough though. 3wpg if my math is correct. you want to go with a canister filter as the HOB filter will de-gas too much co2. you will be MUCH better off going with a canister filter and connecting your reactor on the outflow. cleaning the water, you are going to hover over the open spaces around your tank in an attempt to pic up any loose feces and/or food laying on the bottom. depending on your fertilizer dosing (if you even are), you'll want to do about 50% once a week. as far as the fish go, just somthing small. it's pretty much up to you. cardinals, rummynose, neons, glo-lites, rasboras.. i could go on. SHRIMP are better algae eaters. but keep in mind, you don't want to over-stock this tank. buy an API master test kit. then buy a phosphate and gH,kH test kit to go along with it. hope this helps some. feel free to pm me.

dp

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 05:18 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Are you not worried about the reactor sucking up the solution in your DIY CO2? Personally, I wouldnt recommend it. Could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
totally didn't even notice he said that. whoops.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
If you use an overflow on your DIY CO2, then that won't happen. Try something like this Joey:

You can also use a juice bottle instead of a soda bottle. I switched to these recently and I like them much better - bigger and more stable on their feet, less likely to tip.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Hi Joejoe123,

just a thought on the lighting. I too have an 8g tank and actually have 48w over it. I thought it might be too much light but i have found that it keeps the plants low and tends to keep the growth a bit slower but really brings out the reds in some of the plants. I am dosing the Seachem line daily and double the recommended Excel daily. This seems to be working very well, very little algae although I am battling Clado (i think it is called) so I do have 5 Amanos and a herd of cherry shrimp and one Oto. (no other fish) . The Amano seem to be really working. Anyway, I have found that the recommendaion of more lighting on a smaller tank is working for me.

My HM grows almost horizontal and once the weather cools I hope to find HC to plant in the forground to see how it does.

Good luck with your tank!

Duff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danepatrick View Post
well i can answer one or two of your questions. i'm still pretty new at this myself. i DO know that your 50/50 bulb is of no use......
dp
I'm sorry danepatrick, but I have to disagree with your statment about the 50/50 lighting. While I might agree that it may not be the best but I have used it quite affectivly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode