Wild plant prep - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wild plant prep

So I found some type of liverwort at a local pond and thought I'd like to try it in my tank. I know you're supposed to clean wild collected plants to make sure they're free of parasites, etc. I've read that bleach dips can melt the finer leaved plants and there's something to do with stomata where you shouldn't use bleach either.
Any advice on how to clean this plant once I collect it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I'm gonna piggy back your post.

I'd like to know myself but just forgot to ask. I have a 2ac pond and my neighbor has a 4-5 ac pond and we have dwarf hair grass, L. repens, scarlet temple (believe) and a few others. I never noticed it until I got on this forum. I'd love to be able to successfully transfer it to my 135gal tank and even offer them as a ROAK on here but I'd want to ensure a transfer method first.

I hope someone offers us some good experienced info here !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't think liver worts will do well with most treatments. I've used hydrogen peroxide for various plants in the past after manual removal of anything I could see. Hydrogen peroxide, bleach solution or potassium permanganate added to water will kill most algae and probably a few hitchhikers. Quarantine is another safe step. The fact is, nothing is full proof. As long as you realize you may end up with an alien looking shrimp eater in a few months go for it. It's just the price of using wild plants I'm afraid.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've always done a dip that consists of 1 part bleach and 20 parts water. I haven't had a plant melt on me yet or had any hitchhikers. However, it's imperative that the plant is not submerged for longer than 3 seconds and immediately rinsed.

I'm sure there are various, sucessful methods of prepping plants, though.

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tankoholic; 06-04-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
This may sound strange but you might want to look at a reef dip such as Revive Coral Cleaner...

I have used this for the most sensitive corals and it will kill any invertebrates (or at least get them to leave the corals). I am not sure how similar marine and freshwater plants are as far as sensitivity to these solutions...but I believe many Saltwater Plant keepers dip their plants in these dips before addition to the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode