Issues w/Filling CO2 at Sports Chains?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Issues w/Filling CO2 at Sports Chains??

So, I go to fill up my paintball CO2 a couple of weeks ago at Sports Authority. This is the 2nd time I am filling this brand new tank. The guy behind the counter is about 90 years old. I can see him fumbling around, and having trouble. He calls over another employee for help, and they both determine that something is wrong with their equipment. They tell me that they’re sorry, but they cannot fill up my tank today.
Minutes later I go to Dicks Sporting Goods. I hand over my tank, and the guy comes back to me and says that there is something wrong with my tank. It won’t hold the CO2, which is strange because nothing looks wrong with the tank. So, I buy a new tank.
I don’t think that an employee at Dicks would care enough to try to scam me into buying something new, but I am thinking that maybe Sports Authority did something to the tank when they were trying to fill it up. I know I could probably not prove anything. I never had any issues with my CO2 set-up at home.
Just concerned about something like this happening again. Any thoughts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
You may be able to explain your situation to a manager at Sports Authority. Be polite and have all your facts straight. Explain that it is a brand new tank with no previous problems, and that you are very meticulous in your care for it and your aquarium system. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Bring the broken tank in, and any receipts you have. At worst they will tell you they can't do anything for you, but they may give you a free tank, or at least a discount on future refills or purchases. If you get nothing out of it, you will be at the same spot your in now, but you may be surprised the manager could hook you up. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've had similar issues at Sports Authority and Dicks. My guess is that they don't fill up a lot of CO2 tanks and the person trained to do it might only do it once every few weeks, and not really know what they are doing. This may or may not be the case at your locations, but I've been in the stores local to me many, many times aside from times I went to get CO2 and have never seen another person getting CO2 on any occasion.

I brought them a tank that was only filled once before and they said it was broken. I waited a week or 2, considered buying a new tank, but then decided to try and get it filled again (but changed the o-ring first), and a different employee was able to fill it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was thinking that inexperience could be the case. I think that I will try to have it filled at a Paintball facility from now on, and I will bring my old tank in to see if they can fill it.
Thanks, Slavecorps
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I've had the same issue at Dick's. Quite silly, honestly. I only go when a certain person is there since he's the only one who knows how to do it. I had the other guy that failed to do it last time actually grab a remote fill setup from off the shelf and bleed my tank with it. No clue why he couldn't fill it. Inexperienced workers are great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Right. You would think that it wouldnt be that difficult of a process either. Oh well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode