teaching your fish to be less shy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
teaching your fish to be less shy

I have a large shoal of sparkling gouramis, and they're REALLY shy. Whenever I approach the tank, they dart back into hiding. The set up is perfect for them: low, indirect light, lots of broad leaf plants, floating plants, and driftwood for hiding, gentle water flow.

If I sit really still, they'll eventually come out and do normal fish stuff, but if I even move my arm, they dart back into hiding. This is difficult because whenever I want to feed them to teach them that person = feeding time, they are too afraid to come out to eat, and I have to leave the bloodworms for them to scavenge.

Is there a better way of feeding bloodworms that still requires interaction? I was thinking of maybe putting the food in a net and then hopefully they'll learn that net = feeding time.

I moss be in love

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have the same problem with my firefish (SW fish). He has gotten more and more shy and now only comes out of hiding to eat (and only barely then). I think some fish are just very skittish and theres nothing you can really do about it unfortunately. Ive tried everything with my guy...adding fish to make him feel safer ..... moving slowly when I approach the tank.... I always feed using tongs so he knows im coming to feed him but will never change his ways I fear.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you have other fish in the tank with them? It might make them feel safer if you add a small group of non-shy fish such as neons to draw them out?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

RE: teaching your fish to be less shy

Dither fish are a good idea. Let me put my education to use for a minute. In psychology we learned about classical condition of animals. Its quite simple. I've done it with all sorts of fish. You have to remember that fish are always watching you even if you can't see them. What I did was before I fed my fish I would tap on the glass once (gently of course). Everytime you feed them just gently tap the glass. Eventually they'll learn to associate that tap with food, then they'll associate YOU with the tap and come out when they see you. It takes time, but it works. I've done it with SW and FW fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly3vil View Post
Do you have other fish in the tank with them? It might make them feel safer if you add a small group of non-shy fish such as neons to draw them out?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used to have a betta in there, and they did quite well, but he was dark and not very easy to see. Eventually he started bullying them, so now he's gone, but he did teach them to come to the surface for floating food.

I will use the tapping suggestion, and maybe I'll add some other fish. My friend has Endlers, would that be a good choice?

I moss be in love

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Yip, guppies would be perfect.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

I had shy Discus for awhile. The tank location was too active and bright, and I used an automatic feeder. Tank got moved to a quieter location and I feed them myself every evening. Now they are always at the front of the tank begging for food like pups!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
dither fish and conditioning are both good ideas, having ur hands in the tank often prove to the fish ur not a threat, especially when ur hands bring food

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

My fish get excited when I open the bottom door. It makes a noise that they hear/feel and they know food is coming. Just noticed that recently. My fish also swim out when I approach now.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I used to rattle the food bottle back and forth on the top before feeding. Now when every I even open the lid all the fish come up to the surface.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
I have one clown loach that is very shy and skittish, but over time he/she became less shy with my dither silver dollars school, blood parrot cichlids, sharks fish.. So it definitely helps a bit to have dither fish. But he/she is still the most skittish among my other clown 5 loaches.. meanwhile one out of those five clowns is very unskittish and not shy lol. Loves to come out and play/eat most of the time.. He/she turned out to be the very healthy and a little bigger of all the loaches; the others are just plain healthy and eat well but still shy.. In my opinion, I think it may depend on fish personalities too and takes time for very shy fish to trust and adjust.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode