CO2 from Sodastream? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
CO2 from Sodastream?

Hey guys. Anyone ever thought of using the co2 60L from sodastream to be used in the tank? I saw the CO2 60L for $20. Or is it not possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I looked into this before and apparently the tanks aren't refillable, they can only be swapped for a new full one, and it is more expensive than refilling a paintball co2 tank.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn123 View Post
I looked into this before and apparently the tanks aren't refillable, they can only be swapped for a new full one, and it is more expensive than refilling a paintball co2 tank.
I was looking it up and I saw a guy on youtube was able to open and refill using dry ice. Just to open is not as easy.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lots of people use them here, and yes they are refillable but most places that sell them just exchange empty one's for full ones for a small fee.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
They have proprietary tops on them. A guy on ebay sells an adapter top, but it is easier/cheaper to get a paintball tank if that is a route you want to pursue. I have the sodastream machine for soda, but I have used it a few times for my tank when I ran our of excel or when I was setting up a new tank and didn't have fish yet (I just glunked a bunch in then).
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Planted Member

I poured in carbonated water from my sodastream now and then when I was running a 5 gallon plant-only tank, but like others here I never found a viable way to connect the bottle to anything other than the sodastream.

In fact, because it is so proprietary I wouldn't even recommend getting one for soda. There are cheaper ways to carbonate water. Sodastream's syrups are pretty good though.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I've seen a few threads on UKAPS.org where some are using it. You might want to do a search over there.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Re: CO2 from Sodastream?

Small Sodastream refills cost as much as a 5 lb refill here.

Anyone know the psi of a Sodastream refill?

Snail Glades,
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you guys! Awesome help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlumpy View Post
I poured in carbonated water from my sodastream now and then when I was running a 5 gallon plant-only tank, but like others here I never found a viable way to connect the bottle to anything other than the sodastream.

In fact, because it is so proprietary I wouldn't even recommend getting one for soda. There are cheaper ways to carbonate water. Sodastream's syrups are pretty good though.
A bit off topic.. but are they as good as the real thing or close to it? Thinking of getting one anyway

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-05-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (77/99%)
other ppl already had the same idea, and hmmpf, maintenance cost is high I assumed.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.f View Post
A bit off topic.. but are they as good as the real thing or close to it? Thinking of getting one anyway
Just as good or better in my opinion. I usually drink the diet cola or the diet fruit flavors, or mix flavors together. I also like the energy syrup (not the diet) mixed with fruit flavors or kool-aid. It's my morning caffeine jolt these days.

My Tanks:

-
-
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.f View Post
There are many methods to carbonating water. Using the syrup and making your own is a lot cheaper. Heres one...

Tons more.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
There are many methods to carbonating water. Tons more.
Yeah my coworker made one of those, and now I wish I'd gone that route. We bought the sodastream that takes the bigger cylinders, then later found out there was no place to exchange them near us. So were using the smaller ones and paying an arm and a leg to exchange them. I recently found this adapter to use paintball cylinders with the sodastream unit. It's expensive but I already have a bunch of PB tanks and they are much cheaper to fill.

My Tanks:

-
-
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I drink a lot of carbonated water and go through a bottle every month and a half. I Just add a lime wedge and it is much more refreshing than soda.

I exchange my sodastream CO2 bottles at Bed Bath and Beyond. They send out 5 dollar off 15 coupons every few months and the exchanges are exactly 15 so you can use the coupons on them, dropping the refill price by 1/3rd.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Thanks for the tip!

Snail Glades,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode