Who has a 12gallon long? What are the challenges and benefits to this size? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Who has a 12gallon long? What are the challenges and benefits to this size?

I've been considering buying a 12 gallon long. I'm intrigued by the possibilities of having my scape extend above the water line, but I understand that the narrow width of the tank and shallow depth may create particular challenges with scaping and stocking of the tank.

I just wanted to hear the pro's and con's of working with this size tank from people who own them to see if it was worth spending the money on this size tank, or if I should consider a more traditional sized rectangular tank.

I currently have a 7.5 gallon cube, so I'm familiar with the general challenges of working with nano tanks, so let's try to keep things specific to the pro's and con's of working with the dimensions of the 12 gallon long tanks.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sorry dont have one but there is a thread under tank builds dedicated to 12 longs, a "club".
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...highlight=long
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
With the sheer number of micro fish available in the hobby (along with shrimp, which I prefer), there's certainly no challenge at all when it comes to stocking.

Scaping is like it is with any other tank. Just have to find the right materials and really figure out a focal point or two. If you take the time to review a few 12gal long journals, you'll see that scaping really isn't an issue.

Let's start with cons:
  • You can't just plop an HOB on the tank and expect everything to be fine. You'll need a sufficiently-sized canister filter and will likely have to craft a DIY spray bar (which is an easy and cheap thing to do) in order to maintain decent flow and filtration throughout the tank. That's necessary if you don't want ugly powerheads or other equipment inside the tank.
  • Can be tough locating a proper stand. You'll need to think creatively about that one.
  • The tank can't really be covered without ruining its beauty. So you can't just randomly pick up a bunch of fish that are prone to jumping.

Pros:
  • It's shallow, so you can have great lighting for cheap. Or, be like me and get a fancy, stronger fixture that you have to suspend 8-10" above the tank to maintain low light. Allows for a truly open top that doesn't obstruct your view.
  • Being so shallow, you can easily use long tweezers and scissors while working. Never have to get your hands wet.
  • Since the tank is long and shallow, you can see your scape from above. That's my favorite part of the tank.
  • Tons of ground area for such a small tank. Makes it ideal for invertebrates.
  • It's long, so you can properly house tiny schooling fish.
  • For a unique shape, the price point is crazy cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
  • You can't just plop an HOB on the tank and expect everything to be fine. You'll need a sufficiently-sized canister filter and will likely have to craft a DIY spray bar (which is an easy and cheap thing to do) in order to maintain decent flow and filtration throughout the tank. That's necessary if you don't want ugly powerheads or other equipment inside the tank.
  • Can be tough locating a proper stand. You'll need to think creatively about that one.
  • The tank can't really be covered without ruining its beauty. So you can't just randomly pick up a bunch of fish that are prone to jumping.
Thanks for your reply. Fortunately, I've been in the hobby for about 20 years, so I have a huge stash of equipment that isn't being used right now since I moved out of my apartment and into student housing when I decided to return to college.

Right now, I have an Eheim 2215 and a Rena XP 3 sitting in storage, So I'm inclined to break out the 2215 for this one. Do you think that will be sufficient for a 12 gal long? I'm fine with DIY for the spraybar also since I have a massive collection of tools and PVC from my former career as an HVAC tech.

I also have a corallife 36" (42 watt) dual aqualight T5NO fixture in storage which should get me to high light on a tank this shallow (I think). In addition, I have an complete CO2 rig also in storage, so I should be okay on that front.

As for the stand, I wanted to have this tank sit across the back of my desk, so no problems there. It's solid oak, so it's more than sturdy enough and since it seems to have belonged to the school for a very long time, it's not in good cosmetic shape so I don't really have to worry about water getting on it.

As far as stocking is concerned, I'm really missing having fish since I only keep RCS and MTS in my 12 gal cube. I was thinking of going kind of traditional with this one with a school of small tetras.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
2215 would be more than enough flow. You'd probably have to use the quick disconnects to dial things in a bit but that'd be no big deal at all.

Yep, T5NO would be high light. Even hanging above the tank a bit would give you high light.

If they're the only fish in the tank, 15-17 Ember Tetras would be terrific.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode