New to planted tanks, advice wanted! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks, advice wanted!

Hello!
A few weeks ago I decided to set up a tank for aquatic plants with the idea of getting some tetras down the road. I bought a second hand set up that included the 25 gallon tank a 20 watt aqua glow light, a HOB Elite hush 20 filter, heater and pump with air stone plus some gravel.
I used fluval stratum substrate with some of the gravel to get a depth of 3inches, and got a anubias, flame moss, water wisteria, vallsneria, red flame sword and a water sprite.
Tank has been running for about three weeks now and water chemistry seems good except recently some of the plants seem to be getting bruied and turning brown, not the whole plant but just a stem, the water wisteria and sprite seem to be having issues.

I'm concerned it may be the temp which hangs around 79-82, which people tell me is great for the betta I just added yesterday but what about the plants?

I also want to know if I should be running an air stone as after reading some material about the plants liking a calm water surface I thought I didn't need the air stone and the filter which waterfall output agitates the water surface already.

For the leaves on the plants that are dying back should I pune them back or leave them to see if they recover?
Is co2 a must for a 25 gallon tank that I'm going for low light.

I decided to leave the heater running all the time which keeps the tank around 77-79 and only have the light on for 9-5, which brings the tank up to 82.3 by the end if the day. Is this ok or is the range if temp the shock hurting my plants? Is 82 ok for my plants or should I consider a smaller heater?

I'm hoping to plant a tank for glowlight and ember tetras, with lowlight amazon local plants as much as possible, I've already gone away from that a bit but any advise on plants that would do well in my tank is greatly appreciated.
I like moss floaters and fine grasses.

I have a nutrafin plant grow solution that I also added, as well as some worm castings that I put in before any fish were added.

Thank you for any help, I'm trying to read everything but this is my first fish tank as well as being a planted tank so hope all goes well.

Talk to me about low light plants and tetras!

Last edited by TetraTank; 06-03-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: auto text miss spell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hello! Welcome to TPT! It sounds like you are doing well for your first planted tank!

Some plants have a tendency to "melt", which means that they turn brown and sometimes disintegrate. This can be alarming at first, and not very attractive. I always prune the entire dead leaf off so the plant can focus on new and healthy growth. This is normal for most plants when they get moved, or get switched to a new tank.

If you want a low light tank, you shouldn't need CO2. CO2 is normally used for high light and fast growing plants. I'd say dial your temperature back to 82 degrees max for the plants. I heard Flame Moss does better with lower temperatures.

I'd help you with the rest of your questions, but frankly I am not that good yet!

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tankoholic; 06-03-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

My first plants were wisteria, I had no clue what I was doing and they still grew like the national debt. I'm starting to not like them, too scraggly.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action53 View Post
My first plants were wisteria, I had no clue what I was doing and they still grew like the national debt. I'm starting to not like them, too scraggly.
I tend to agree. However, I have a friend that has Water Wisteria in a high light tank and doesn't grow tall and scraggly at all. Like most plants, they can thrive in low light, but the high light makes them "bushier", it doesn't shed it's lower leaves, and it doesn't have to stretch out as much.

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you tankoholic and action, I had read a little bit about new plant leaves dying back while root growth gets established but they have been green and growing for two weeks and have just recently I saw damaged leaves.
I really like the finer leaves on some of the plants like the wisteria and the sprite, I'm a gardener at heart but aquatic plants are so cool to watch.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Planted Member

In other words, I'm jealous of her wisteria!

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Algae Grower

I just upgraded my lighting from 0.36 wpg to 2.88 wpg so hopefully they'll start bushin out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

No problem. Is the entire plant melting? Or is it just a few routine leaves? Once you get enough them, the pruning will keep you on your toes! Sometimes the entire plant will melt and disappear only to show back up weeks later stronger than ever.

What type of gravel are you using?

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Planted Member

Unfortunately, the photo link is broken Perhaps it would be easier to upload the image into your PT gallery and get the direct link from there?

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah couldn't fix the pic so deleted the post, will try again once I fix it.

I used fluval stratum substrate with some dark purple gravel that came with the tank, 3-5 mm?, I've seen it packaged in the aquarium stores but can't remember the name.
The melting is only happening to a few leaves, I'll prune the leaves.
The red flame sword has been doing very well a new leave every week for the past three has grown so I've been assuming the plants are doing ok, but the browning worried me.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok here is the tank after 3 weeks running, left to right I have a the corkscrew vallsneria, anubias, flame moss, water wisteria, red flame sword and a water sprite.

& Greg, my free fishy, because he needed a home.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like you are getting off to a good start. I like your labels.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol, thank you black hills, I didn't want to lose track of what species I put in the tank.

Going to the aquarium store today , wonder what I'll bring home.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode