Bristlenose Plecos Breeded (I think) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Bristlenose Plecos Breeded (I think)

We got home and all the lights were off, so I took a small flashlight to show my son how some fish sleep, and some are awake, and the snail,etc. Well, we have several baby plecos. They may be 1/4 inch if that. We had a pair of bristles in there to begin with. My wife did this one time with kribs. If she picks 2 fish, we have babies. I guess we shall see if they make it to a larger stage before figuring out new homes.

210 g - Empty right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nice! Posts some pics please
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Yea bristlenose are relatively easy fish to bred if you get a male and female.
They are really cool though because when they male picks out the breeding grounds he will get the female to lay the eggs there (usually in a cave, coconut shell, hollowed log, etc.) and then he will relentlessly fan the eggs to provide them with fresh oxygenated air. I swear, the male does nothing but fan the eggs. Occasionally, he'll run to get something to eat I think, but for the most part, he is always with the eggs until they hatch. Keep an eye on the tank. They will breed again sooner than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You broke the rules, lol. Your not suppose to flash your tank at night when the lights are off. That's like someone waking you up in the middle of the night and shine high beam headlights in your face.

Congrats on the breeding though. Do you plan to make profit off them when they get a little bigger and sell them to a lfs or local fish keepers?

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
You broke the rules, lol. Your not suppose to flash your tank at night when the lights are off. That's like someone waking you up in the middle of the night and shine high beam headlights in your face.

Congrats on the breeding though. Do you plan to make profit off them when they get a little bigger and sell them to a lfs or local fish keepers?
I know, normally I don't do that, but my 3 yr old is all of a sudden into the tank, and we were up much later than normal.

As for what to do with them if they make it, I haven't a clue. I will see if anyone of my friends would be interested first, then either local hobbyists or lfs. If it is someone local, might give them free. Of course they would have to try and fish them out of a 210 gallon planted tank. lol

210 g - Empty right now
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Woah, a 210, I am jealous, lol. That won't be an easy task getting them out. Even with the water lowered. If is a moderate to heavily planted tank, you can forget it, lol. That would turn into a J.O.B trying to get those bad boys out. Unfortunately they will breed again and eventually you will be overrun by BN's if you can't stop them now.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode