What fish where? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
What fish where?

I'm really excited cause I have 2 tank projects coming!!! I just can't figure out what I want to do lol.

Project 1

I have a heavily planted 10 gallon with ember tetras and white cloud minnows. I got a smokin deal on a 20 gallon with stand, so I'm upgrading.

Project 2

There is some furniture purging/re-arranging going on in my house, I had originally thought about a 20 long but then I got another deal on a 30 gallon. I'm going back and forth about building a stand or putting it on this:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80071319/

There was a thread on here about Ikea furniture and this is pretty solid, thoughts? I think I'm leaning more to a stand, otherwise it's going to be really tall.

Most of the equipment I'm going to need is already kicking around here so starting these tanks is going to be easy!

Now the problems lol...

I'm hatching/raising killifish fry at the moment (virgin here, learning lots) and honestly I think I only want to do this once. A sustaining population would be great.

I would like to keep the embers and WCM and either add to their numbers or get a school of rummynose as well. I'm also throwing around the idea of a pair of rams.

Maybe I'm answering my own questions as I think more about this to write it down lol.

The smart idea would be to put the killifish in the 20 and everything else in the 30.

Will embers, WCM, rummynose and rams all be fine together?

What ram is a good one for a first time ram owner?

Other suggestions for cool centerpiece kind of fish are also welcome. I had tossed around the idea of Apisto's but saw some at the LFS and wasn't all that impressed

So many thoughts and questions, thanks for reading!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
White clouds shouldn't be housed with any of the others you have listed. They like cooler water. The tetras would probably be fine with rams.

Expedits come on different configurations, so you could get a shorter one if that appealed to you. I have Bolivian (butterfly) rams and I like them a lot and I don't find them to be difficult to keep. They are difficult to sex, however, so if you want them to breed, buying a matched pair is a good idea. Lots a people keep German blue rams, which are lovely, but require higher temps than the Bolivians.

If you want some other suggestions for centerpiece fish, I think gouramis are lovely (especially pearls!).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Planted Member

Just a quick comment on the White Clouds. They are also one of my favorite fish, and yes they do like their water in the mid 60's or so. I live in Arizona, and unless you put a chiller on your tank, during the summer there is no way even in an air conditioned house you're going to keep that water any less than at least 76 degrees or so. I've kept them for years that way and they do just fine. If you keep them with rams, who like their water up in 80 degree range, that might be a bit much for them though.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hadn't thought to check temp requirements of the rams. So many people here keep them in a community tank. I like WCM but I may look at getting rid of them, I don't want to start ANOTHER tank lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode