HELP! PFR Dopped Eggs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Red face HELP! PFR Dopped Eggs

Hey guys! Not having a great week :'( finally have 4 berried PFR's and I just got and see someone dropped their eggs? I don't know what to do.. it's still there. How do I save them? Is it too late? Can I do something without buying a lot of things? Is it even possible? Sorry never dealt with this when I had Cherrys. Please help! :'(

Thank you in advance!

Sorry I only have a cellphone to take pictures. :<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
RE: HELP! PFR Dopped Eggs

If you have or are able to make a small net breeder you can place the eggs in there with very gentle water flow going over them to keep fungus off. Or you could always buy an egg tumbler and put it on a timer to simulate the mother fanning them. I've personally used the egg tumblers with good success.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
There's not much you can typically do once a shrimp drops its eggs. Since they're Neos, they'll breed quickly and it's only a brief matter of time until the shrimp is berried again.

Sometimes new/young females drop their eggs. Sometimes stress causes it. Sometimes there's something wrong with the eggs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
If you have or are able to make a small net breeder you can place the eggs in there with very gentle water flow going over them to keep fungus off. Or you could always buy an egg tumbler and put it on a timer to simulate the mother fanning them. I've personally used the egg tumblers with good success.
I'll try and see if I can make one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There's not much you can typically do once a shrimp drops its eggs. Since they're Neos, they'll breed quickly and it's only a brief matter of time until the shrimp is berried again.

Sometimes new/young females drop their eggs. Sometimes stress causes it. Sometimes there's something wrong with the eggs.
I see. This really sucks :'( was very hard for me to find some local guys to get the PFR's and finally to breed. I guess I'll try the egg tumbler method.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

made my own egg tumbler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
I just made one using a plastic bottle and an air-pump + airstone with water and a net covering the bottom of the top upside down whole. Do you think this should help?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I have well over 60+ eggs. I 2 have dropped their eggs I don't understand what's going on. Enough food (I feed them every other day) + alot of biofilm and moss. Water changes 30-50% every week. I used Nutrfin Cycle 5ml as suggested for each water change. It's NYC water tap water... no co2 or anyh other meds for anything used. 1 tiny shrimp dead (due to heat wave but everyone else is doing well). I never ever had this issue.. when I kept Cherrys.. but my Painted Fire Reds seem to be having this for the first time. Atm temp is 72-74* no heater.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
nyc tap water contains chlorine..... if you arent using anything to take the chlorine out, that could be the problem.... i grew up in queens and had many problems as a kid with tanks when doing water changes straight from the tap.
they also add fluoride (forgive my spelling).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Re: HELP! PFR Dopped Eggs

use water conditioner, and check the gh/kh...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Love what you do, and you never have to work again.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukekiller View Post
nyc tap water contains chlorine..... if you arent using anything to take the chlorine out, that could be the problem.... i grew up in queens and had many problems as a kid with tanks when doing water changes straight from the tap.
they also add fluoride (forgive my spelling).
I used aquaħ for that. So no chlorine in there.

Tags
eggs, pfr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode