Keepin Cool - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Keepin Cool

What do PFTers do to keep cool on hot days like today and yesterday, when the temp is 85+ outside? I saw my tanks jump to 84 that's cuz it's in my attic an I had the window closed, but my 20gal on the second floor was at 82 my ceiling fan was on so I think that helped a little. Question is how to keep your tank cool around 72-74deg. without spending hundreds on a chiller?

I wish I had the space to take it out the attic, I have two tanks in my kitchen a 5 an a 10gal, then in my spare room I have a 20 and a custome tank I just built that is about 15-25gal, me an the wife's bedroom has a 55gal with a 7" turtle in there so the attic is all I have left an I put my 90custom and my 70gal custom. The 90 has another turtle in there 70 is a planted with fish. My basement has my woodworking shop that stretches to my landlords side of the basement do that's out too. I'm gonna go with a couple fans an see how it turns out. BTW as for the ACs 1 in the livin room, 1 in each bedroom for a total of 3 and 1 in my shop so a total of 4 if I get one more ill need to take up a collection to pay my electrical bill LOL thanks for te info guys.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 05-31-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Good question - I just got some celestial pearl danio, their comfortable range is in 78F tops, so of course this heat wave has my water up to 81 already, ugh. i did a water change with cooler water last night, but it doesn't take long to get that water back up to room temps.

With warmer temps i think the big thing is oxygen. My flow is cranked up as high as it can go to keep the water movement brisk and hopefully oxygenated. Maybe an air stone might help? Some folks have also floated those freeze packs, but that seems a bit inconsistent to me. I probably won't really start to sweat (no pun intented) unless it's closer to 90 than 80 and the fish are gulping.

At least in a planted tank all those plants are hooking your fish up with oxygen - except at night of course when they reverse course!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low-Med Light Plants, Neon, January and Rummynose Tetra, Red Betta, Red Bristlenose Plecos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can use a computer fan, or mount a clip fan onto the rim of the tank to help cool things off.

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You guys don't know how lucky you are and complaining, down here in the south, it's already in the 90s. Turn on the AC. everyone, you and your fish, will be happy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeling View Post
You guys don't know how lucky you are and complaining, down here in the south, it's already in the 90s. Turn on the AC. everyone, you and your fish, will be happy.
Oh, how I long for AC. Mine broke a couple days ago and I have been living my life around box fans. It's 90 degrees outside and surprisingly only 87 in the house. Good news is that the system is being replaced tomorrow.

I'm glad that I don't have any fish in my tank as of yet. I should probably just pull the unnecessary heater out, too!

ROAK Club member #96
Fraternity of Dirt #134

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
What do PFTers do to keep cool on hot days like today and yesterday, when the temp is 85+ outside? I saw my tanks jump to 84 that's cuz it's in my attic an I had the window closed, but my 20gal on the second floor was at 82 my ceiling fan was on so I think that helped a little. Question is how to keep your tank cool around 72-74deg. without spending hundreds on a chiller?
Take it out of the attic.
The only alternative I think is evaporation cooling
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Take it out of the attic.
The only alternative I think is evaporation cooling
+1. Take the tank out of the attic. attics, because of their position are much hotter compared to other parts of your house. Also, do what Sake suggested and get a clip on fan and aim it directly at the water's surface. evaporation cooling is pretty efficient at cooling the aquarium just replace the water that is evaporated off
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
wheeling - You guys don't know how lucky you are and complaining, down here in the south, it's already in the 90s. Turn on the AC. everyone, you and your fish, will be happy.
I'm right there with you Wheeling. I live in Alabama, and it's been getting up to the 90's and this is the cool part of summer. Just wait till late July-August, it will get easily to the 100's.

Here in the south all homes are built with central AC, but up north they don't need it as much, so many homes just have a few window units or no AC at all, as hard as that is for us southerners to understand. We love our central AC here in the south.

Aside from a chiller, and moving your tank out of the attic, a clip on fan will be your best friend. If you had a window in your attic, you could maybe install a cheap window unit up there, check goodwill or craigslist for a used one to save some money. Good luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Get a 6" fan from Target or walmart. Should run you about $8-$10. Without the fan, temps can get up to 82+F. With the fan, I'm able to keep it down to 65F with lights running.

|
|
|

Tags
cool water, hot climate, temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode