Family Just Don't Get It... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Family Just Don't Get It...

I was mentioning that I had just done a big water change and some cleaning, and got a "isn't keeping an aquarium supposed to be relaxing?"

HAHA.

Do any of you have loved ones that just don't understand the disease?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I was mentioning that I had just done a big water change and some cleaning, and got a "isn't keeping an aquarium supposed to be relaxing?"

HAHA.

Do any of you have loved ones that just don't understand the disease?
Getting my hands wet IS relaxing
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
I feel your pain

I get really upset when my fishies of shrimpies die, and then they say "there just stupid fish/shrimp". Man, whatever!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
so far the tank gives me insomnia more often than solving my insomnia
I can only say enjoy =/= relax and also I'm still a noob
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
My significant other doesn't even though she acts like she does. It can be time consuming but isn't any hobby. My kids love to see what hard work displays though. As long as I am happy and relaxed dealing with my fish, I don't care what family thinks. With my future plans, she won't even see me much once the ball gets rolling, lol.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Family Just Don't Get It...

Haha my gf knows I'm obsessed but like to watch the fish and hunt snails with my plant tweezers so its not to bad

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
During the cycle I woke up to my girlfriend testing water and changing it lol. She caught the bug as well. She wants another one already and it's only been 2 months!!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic View Post
During the cycle I woke up to my girlfriend testing water and changing it lol. She caught the bug as well. She wants another one already and it's only been 2 months!!
marry her
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Re: Family Just Don't Get It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens81jw View Post
marry her
+99999999999999999

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

|
|
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Planted Member

While I was cycling my 25 gal, having trouble with it, testing it, changing water, etc. My family just said: "Get a dang goldfish and put it in a bowl!"

HECK NO

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea most people don't understand how involving it really is to have an aquarium. The general public thinks you can just throw fish in a bowl/tank and its good to go. One of my coworkers asked if my betta was still alive after 2 months, and was shocked to hear it was. She apparently thinks they only live a short period since they die so soon.... Which just means the people shes seen with one probably just stuck it in a bowl and didn't change the water, etc.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

While dating my boyfriend I casually mentioned that I had kept a couple of tanks and had worked at an aquarium shop years ago before getting out of the hobby. After we moved in together, someone gave us (FREE!!) a 46 gallon bowfront with stand, filters, everything. We sat it up as a community tank but he kept looking at aggressive fish. I told him we would need another tank if we went that way. So he let me set up a 55-gallon. Then he liked the look of cherry shrimp.... and we needed a QT tank... add two 10 gallon tanks to the collection. And we found a great deal on two 55 gallon complete setups so those are sitting empty in the spare bedroom, waiting for us to start an all-male Peacock tank.

He understands how much work it all is but he also understands how much enjoyment we both get from it. And yes - I did marry him!!

55 gal planted community tank, 46 gal Angel tank, 10 gal planted Cherry tank, 55 gal Angel tank, 20 gal Barb tank, 20 gal soon-to-be Cardinal tank

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Grandma: "your digging up the plants again? "They're never going to settle and grow"
Me: "grandma I have to trim them cause they're to big! Plus the tank is due for a new look"

Lol.

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My girlfriend says im obsessive with the fish tanks... As im new to the hobby and the tanks are new themselves you kind of have to be.. so i keep telling her. My corys laid eggs all over my 20 gallon yesterday, first time she has said anything about how cool that is. Maybe she will come around. hahahaha
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Re: Family Just Don't Get It...

My wife complains on how much I obsess about cleaning the tanks, and measuring plant growth. But she loves when I do it to her tank.

Besides my son loves fish too and he's just like me when it comes to his tank and plants, and it's always nice to have a clean up buddy.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode