I have had a 40 gallon tank for a couple of years now and want to upgrade to a better (non-kit) setup. I have always wanted to go the planted tank route and figured this would be a great opportunity.
I am currently shopping around for a 80 - 110 gallon acrylic tank (live near San Francisco if anyone has one for sale that is nearby) and I wanted to see if anyone had some input on what I plan on for the setup.
First my current setup:
40 gal glass aqueron kit
1 6"-8" red sailfin pleco
1 10"-12" fire eel
2 5" blue gouramis
1 2" electric blue jack dempsey
6 2" red line sharks
6 1"-2" congo tetra
80 - 100 gal acrylic tank
- Depending on tank it may be built in. If it is not built in does anyone have any recommendations?
Fluval 405 or X5 canister
Marineland ML Double Bright LED
Plants[*]I was thinking of doing something simlar to this. Maybe a little less on the right as far as density goes. And I may want to add some type of rock or structure to the left....
That is what I am thinking of for basic setup. I also have some questions that I would like to get answered.
- For the substrate I was going to go with something like Eco-Complete or Aquasoil. I read the pro/con guide that is here, but I always like to hear peoples choices and why.
- Is the additional filter (external canister) too much?
- Probably an obvious answer to this one. With plants do I have to ever worry about vacuuming the substrate?
- Should I use chemical buffers with plants?
- I know my Fire Eel likes to bury himself. With a planted tank I would imagine that there are going to be good hiding spots in the plants themselves. I have also seen a few videos of people with planted tanks and fire eels. Does anyone have any advice on this?
- Should worry about the pleco and the plants?
Any other comments are welcome as well! (As if I could stop them.