tiger lotus ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
i got those ''betta bulbs'' from walmart .. i've had them before. and i think they are calll aponogeton bulbs. anyway most of the time they cam up as tall plants. but now i got a set which look larger than normal bulbs. and these have came in as what look like a red tiger lotus. these are very smalll now though. I have 2 that are most green and a little red and one that is a deep red....how much lighting is need in a nano tank for these and do they need co2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
most bulb plants will do fine without co2 addition.
Give us a pic when you have time for identification
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

You just got to love tiger lotus, they are awsome... As for you question, Co2 wouldn't hurt, and some where close to 3wpg should be fine.... Your biggest concern is how huge that thing is going to get in that small tank :shock: ....

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

I agree, the more light the better with the Tiger Lotuses. IME - the higher the light the shorter and denser the plants stays. You can get creative with it and pluck any of the leaves that get too big for your liking. This way I keep mine short and dense. Its a great plant that can a lot of abuse and a wide range of conditions IME. But, it still might be to big for a nano tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Tiger Lotus are heavy root feeders. The bulbs are perfectly round and black. The plant can be removed easily from the bulb, in fact often times it comes off the bulb by itlself. Put nitrogen and mineral tablet in the gravel under the roots for quicker growth. The more light and C02, the larger and faster the growth will be, but you have to feed this plant.

Aponogetons can not be separated from the bulb, and without a fertile substrate they will stop growing once the nutrients stored in the bulb are depleted. With moderate light, C02 and good fertilization, All Aponogetons grow to be very large plants with leaves over 2 feet long. If your plants stay small, then they are not getting enough nutrients or light and will eventually go dormant and never grow back.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

tiger lotus at walmart? woohoo!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

tiger lotus at walmart? woohoo!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode