Plans for the Future - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here is a tank that I am planning(6 months to a year to save up the money for it), hoping to do something that looks less like a jungle and more like a covered river bank with a mossy fuzzy kind of look with some of the driftwood reaching almost up to the surface in areas. please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions such as more/less light or no Co2

75 or 80 gallon tank (4 feet long, 18 inches front to back, 20 tall)
4 * 55 watt Pc's or 2 * 96 watt Pc's or 4 * 40 watt NO's depending on cost and needed amount of light
canister filter
injected Co2
sand + laterite substrate
Plants: Amazon swords, dwarf chain swords, lots of driftwood with java moss, java ferns and anubias along with stem plants like hygrophila, ludwiga and other small stem plants.

Current fish that will be moved from my 25 to this tank:
1 Angel, 1 Peruvian pufferfish, 2 neon tetras, 3 glowlite tetras, 3 Black tetras, 1 oto, 1 rainbow shark, 1 zebra danio, 1 female betta(this is the collection i have accumulated as fish have died and others have been added)

Fish to be added: 3 Gouramis or Rams, 6 each of Neon and Glowlite tetras, Rummynose tetras(possible), several more Otos and at least 6 lutea cories.

I don't want this to be a very high maintence tank nor a low maintence either. Just something nice to look at that allows me to get my green thumb wet every 2 weeks or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you don't want a lot of maintenance then go with less light. I would not go with 4x55 watt PC for a low maintenance tank. You would be better off with the NO lights. Also even for a 75 gallon tank you should have A sword plant in there, unless you are very careful in picking your sword plants. Then you might be able to get two. But most sword plants grow very large.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Why no friend for the angelfish you nasty man?

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the Info Rex, 4 * 40 watt NO's should probably be enough for this tank then(2 wpg) and the shoplights from Home Depot are not all that expensive. And most of the plants I want in there are not HIGH light plants so that should be enough. With that kind of lighting should I go with Co2 injection or not?

And in regards to angels Nordic, its my wife who has some say in what goes in this tank so I must bow before her in regards to that if i want to get the tank at all. Luckily she likes the look of rams and one of our local fish stores keeps blue and gold rams in steady supply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

takin a trip to whipville , wapish! just kidding BonesCJ

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I doubt that you can show me many an aquarium keeper that does not get some sort of input from their spouse

Member # 64
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

i know i know, i'm just kidding, i didn't mean to offend you if i did....yea, i hear about it all the time...

i actually took that quote from "Bedazzled" you ever see that movie?? it's hilarious.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:45 PM

at 2wpg, CO2 isn't mandatory, but will probably prove beneficial. at 75gallons you'd need to go pressurized, otherwise you'd spend a fair amount of time maintaining all the DYI CO2 bottles.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No offense at all hubba, I have caught glimpses of that movie but not the whole thing.

I think presurrized CO2 will be in the future as the water in my area is very hard and PH levels are hard to adjust so using a Ph based regulator for the CO2 will help with the PH levels as well as the plant growth.

Member # 64
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

that's an excellent idea, Bones, what will happen is that your plants will grow even faster with the co2 (be prepared to dose ferts) and with all the nutrients from the hardwater, they will flourish.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thats the plan, in my low light 25 that i have right now all i ever add is trace + iron from nutrafin, nada else but root tabs.

Member # 64
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Stay away from shop lights. Cheap ones in particular. They under drive the lights most of the time and the so called reflectors suck. You could put two shop lights on there and actually only have about 100 watts of real light. When I started my 55 gallon tank I had shop lights on it. I then went to 110 watts of AH Supply lights and ended up with a much brighter tank. I loved it so much I put another 110 watts over it. Now it's a monster.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Stay away from shop lights. Cheap ones in particular. They under drive the lights most of the time and the so called reflectors suck. You could put two shop lights on there and actually only have about 100 watts of real light. When I started my 55 gallon tank I had shop lights on it. I then went to 110 watts of AH Supply lights and ended up with a much brighter tank. I loved it so much I put another 110 watts over it. Now it's a monster.
With only 2 55 watt PC's i don't think there will be enough light spread. Any other suggestions like say perhaps 4 36 watts?

Member # 64
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

my suggestion is 2 x 96 watt compacts

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could go with 4 36 watts. Or even 2 96 watts but you would have a very bright middle with less light on the ends. The other option is to mount 4 NO lights in the canopy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode