Start-up questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
next week i am going to start up 55g 30Lx18Wx24H. Substrate 120lb of eco-complete, pressurized co2 with controller, 3x55w ahsupply light with 6700K bulbs, using magnum 350 canister with homemade co2 reactor and penguin330 filter. my water is hard KH=21, gH=22, pH=8.2 nitrate=0, Phosphate=0
I plan to fill tank with plants for silent cycle;
Myriophyllum simulans.Common Milfoil. Frill Foxtail > Lysimachia nummularia v. Aurea Ceeping Jenny > Ludwigia.Repens v. Palustris red > Egeria.Najas > Hygrophila.Carymbosa v. Stricta Green Temple > Hygrophila Polysperma v. Tropicsunset > Hygrophila Difformis Water Wysteria > Ceratopteris.Thalictroides watersprite > Bacopa monnieri.Moneywort > Anacharis.Egeria densa
I'm going to experiment with mixing RO water with my tap water to get KH down to 10 then set pH controller on 7.3 and let the co2 rip this tank will be for Melanotaenia and Glossolepis rainbowfishes.
This is as far as I have figured out what to do. Questions are what do I use for medium in filters? eco-complete is packed with water that has something in it, how long before add anything to it? Do I need to add fertilizer to new tank? and how do I figure out what plants need beside just a fertilizer? No fish till I figure somethings out. Do I need root tabs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Not sure about Eco Complete and whether you will need root tabs. For filter media, I suggest mainly sponges in different cpi (cells per inch) grades, first coarser, then finer. They both take care of mechanical and biological filtration. You could add some bio-media to give bacteria a larger surface area, like lava rock or ceramic rings or bio balls or whatnot.

Do not add fertilizers to a new tank for several weeks, unless you want to grow a lot of algae. Better wait with that until plants show first signs of starvation, and then go slow, one by one, whatever seems to be needed most. I personally started with iron, then traces, then potassium, then nitrate, all with some time in between to study the effects. Just about to jump onto PO4. I have had no algae problems so far (not counting the initial short-lived brown and green algae and green water outbrakes).

Good luck!!!

Edit: Spelling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Planted Member

Medium in filters.......just sponges and some bio-media.
How long til you fertilize......I'd give the plants a week to 10 days to acclimate and start to grow, so that they can use the nutrients you will then add. Otherwise, IMO you are feeding algae.
I don't understand the question about figuring out what plants need.
Plants need N,P,K and Traces and do better with additional carbon(CO2). Don't know whether that's the question you were asking or not.
I would stay away from the root tabs initially. Actually, I don't like or trust them anyway. Too many horror stories around people using them and disturbing them and getting too many nutrients into the water table.
You want to get and keep your biological filter going so I would add some algae eaters and cats along with a few of the fish you intend to keep later.
With a 3:1 ratio in lighting you want to get the CO2 going well and keep the absorption rate at or close to 30ppm. With your kH you certainly don't have to worry about a pH crash.
Plant the plants.......pump up the CO2 to 30ppm.......add a few fish and your off and running.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for input. I was asking about plant needs besides fertilizer I mean what am I gonna need on hand like trace, iron...you know? Man I want you guys to know your helpin me and I appreciate it. I'm getting nervous can you tell?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyedRooster
I was asking about plant needs besides fertilizer I mean what am I gonna need on hand like trace, iron...you know?
No point in getting nervous, just go slow one-by-one. Traces and iron ARE fertilizer, aka micro nutrients. Trace mixes like Flourish contain iron, but often iron is in short supply and it makes sense to dose it independently from the other "real" traces.

With the ecocomplete, I wouldn't worry about fertilizers for the first few weeks at all. See above.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

DUDE where did you get all that eco-complete and for how much???? if you bought that at my area....120 lbs...would be 6 bags..would cost well over 150 dollars!!!! MAN!!!!

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

I got it from a local store called pet warehouse for $22.oo a bag and it was six bags. Fluorite was same price at another LFS so I got the eco-complete, it was a good price anywhere, even the net when you add shipping 120lb's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

supsup, from the looks of your avatar looks like you might be growing something else in your plant tanks LoL

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:58 PM

pretty exciting rooster, good luck to ya.....im so glad i took the plunge, rotala wallichi is much more beautiful in person rather than seeing it on the net, simply astounding....happy holidays roost...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Man I'm waiting on all my co2 stuff and its a bummer cause Im not ordering plants till the things all running but Ill post pics once I start. I know I'm backordered till the 20th.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode