Never thought I would have to trim my filter :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Never thought I would have to trim my filter :)

My HOB plants are hogging all the light and shading the tank! First world problems, right?

NEW PICS! The spillway is doing very well, and the part on the sponge in the body of the HOB is taking off now too. Have to watch that it doesn't clog the impeller!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever

Last edited by jbrady33; 07-05-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: new pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
That looks great jbrady!

Tell me though, how do you even clean the filter with plant roots all in it? Are you able to rinse the filter media at all or do the plants come out and go right back in somehow???

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Many people have the plants down into the water behind the media of their HOB, especially on cartridge type filters.

Others (and what I am trying) have plants on a stainless mesh spillway. i'm also attempting to grow stuff directly into a sponge at the top of my media stack. Great results so far on the spillway, the sponge is coming along both nothing to brag about yet!

Here is how I built it:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...778&highlight=

All the planted parts lift off/out to get to the media below

Last edited by jbrady33; 05-29-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: I r not spel gud

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've not had nearly the success with my planted HOB. The stems get above the water line and promptly dry out and shrivel. Disappointed. Yours looks so nice.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I've not had nearly the success with my planted HOB. The stems get above the water line and promptly dry out and shrivel. Disappointed. Yours looks so nice.
I had/have a lot of that happen in the top of the actual HOB itself, the trick seems to be the spillway. Semi-aquatics & houseplants that root in water have been the best bet in the HOB.

on the spillway ricca went in first and made a nice mat, then I fastened some submerged grown stems (ludwigia red maybe? Not sure, got it from OVT) to the spillway. Not 'up', but laying down, cut end at the top of the spillway and head laying down towards the tank.

The water flows over their whole length, that and the ricca kept them always wet. These 'parent' stems then grew roots and emerged children (dense, with broader leaves) along their length rising towards towards the light! That's what you see in the pic.

You should give it a try!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
That looks awesome. Nice way to hide an unsightly HOB and reduce turbulence. I like it!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
This looks really cool! I just have one stem of bamboo in mine.

I just love your whole tank. We have the same tank and light, I hope I can find the balance to make my plants look as good as yours!

36g Bowfront
* 7 Green Tiger Barbs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode