Why can't I keep plants alive - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why can't I keep plants alive

Have about medium light Fugeray 19" above eco complete. Root tabs, Flourish comprehensive, excel and iron.

Amazon sword still showing iron deficiency in new growth. The ludwigia at the top the leaves are turning white then disintegrating. Looks like all the bottom stems are rotted. Bacopa stems look rotted. Lily gets blue spots, then disintegrates.

So what to do now. Am I keeping the wrong plants, should I just get rid of these and have a tank full of anubias since that's the only damn thing I can grow????

36g Bowfront
* 7 Green Tiger Barbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
What you need is CO2 my friend. Excel helps, but is no substitute. I was able to grow ludwigia without it still though. My light was low in this case. I did get stem rot as you have as well, but mainly when light shaded the lower portions. What you can try is try doubling the dose of Comprehensive to rule out ferts as the issue. You use a pretty inert substrate so water column dosing is going to help a lot. Otherwise, just be careful when you plant, try not to break the stem. Trim back the stem to a healthy part of the plant to help the plant focus on growth not recovery.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm pissed because of the amount of people with low tech, no CO2 tanks that are successful. I just want a simple planted tank.

36g Bowfront
* 7 Green Tiger Barbs

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
I'm low tech and my plants grow, but slowly...

I just add potassium and regular flourish once per week.

Excel is really only for planted tanks with co2, imo.

Also if you have any plants with red in them, you'd want to dose iron.

Edit: Amazon swords, need potassium definitely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You have to find a right balance between light, co2 and fertilizer. What size fugeray do you have? You are most likely lacking macro nutrients.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
The last picture shows river rocks, they are inert and won't provide any nutrients to your plants. CO2 aside, it appears you need to balance your light and nutrient needs. Finnex has PAR charts, see what levels you are achieving, your light might be too weak for your setup.

We've all had tanks that "should work", but dont. keep at it and good luck!

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: Why can't I keep plants alive

Comprehensive is traces, you need to dose NPK also. Let couple of stems of Ludwigia float, they should start growing roots in several days.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like nitrogen deficiency.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I thought comprehensive had NPK? Or was it just a bit of everything?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

There is 2" of eco complete under the gravel.

I've read Hoppy's lighting guide many times, it made me decide on my 30" Fugeray to give me medium light (just about PAR of 30)

I can get potassium. Still looking for the macro nutrients, I can't find the right stuff and don't have much money

36g Bowfront
* 7 Green Tiger Barbs
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Have you measured you GH? My plants did poorly until I realized my GH was low. By using GH booster my plants started doing much better.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
30 par is low-medium light. Dry frets can be found online for cheap and will last you a long time. Comprehensive has very low amount of macros that it can be ignored.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Why can't I keep plants alive

Look up how to set up a dirt tank. I have a couple and plants grow like crazy. It's lighted with regular light bulbs and a little indirect sun light. The bacteria in the dirt and the fauna produce something like 20ppm of co2 for the plants. All you need to do is feed your animals and change the water whenever. I tend to under stock on the animals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (115/100%)
It looks like your top gravel pebbles may be to big.It may be the size of the pic too.
This can prohibit good root growth for your plants.
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/04/...-aquarium.html
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I, as well as a lot of others I suspect, use Flourish for micros actually. You most definitely need to be dosing a little bit of Macros.

I dry dose a little Potassium and Phosphate in my low tech tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode