Suggestions to increase co2 level - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions to increase co2 level

I have a 20g heavily planted tank. I inject co2 with 2, 2 liter yeast bottles. Here is my mixture that I use:

2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp yeast

I also supplement with flourish excel. I started off diffusing with a ladder, but I couldn't seem to get my co2 level up high enough. I now just run the co2 into the intake of my Aquaclear 50 HOB filter. That did help, however for some reason it seems that the highest I can get the co2 level is around 20 ppm, and that's when both bottles are running at peak co2 output (which only lasts a few days, after that they slowly decrease their output). Any suggestions on a diffusion method (or reaction method) that will increase my co2 level more consistently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use a Rex Grigg style reactor on my 55g. tank. I only need 1 2 ltr. (producing 5-15 bubbles per minute) to keep my drop checker green to yellow. I've heard that the Cerges reactor works quite well also. The bubble rate seems low. But, I get near 100% diffusion.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #20
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wouldn't that be a little impractical for an Aquaclear 50 HOB filter?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
the way i see it frm here, without updating ur filter. put a small tam rio 180 inside the tank with the outlet of the DIY co2 feeding the intake. this will mist the co2 and spread it throughout the tank fairly well. it will also increase your flow.

by doing it this way, the aquaclear won't be burning it all up as it waterfalls into the tank

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sorry, I wasn't aware that you weren't willing to upgrade your filter. Impractical?...more like impossible with the AC 50. I guess I've never considered a hob on co2 injected tanks due to the surface agitation.

Greg

The Fraternity of Dirt #58

RAOK CLUB #20

Last edited by Gtdad2; 05-27-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtdad2 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't aware that you weren't willing to upgrade your filter. Impractical?...more like impossible with the AC 50. I guess I've never considered a hob on co2 injected tanks due to the surface agitation.
surface agitation does not waste significant amounts of co2.
i've proven this in my own tank by having a powerhead create massive agitation while my co2 return line was pointed mid tank.

however breaking the water tension with a hob does waste co2 especially since the co2 is being caried by the water doing the breaking

having a small pump circulate the co2 as a mist through the tank will not only increase co2/water surface area thus increase co2 concentrations, but help increase flow through the tank as well.

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtdad2 View Post

Is doable with a HOB. I am using the Emperor 400. The HOB is just another gas exchange source. You just need to increase your CO2 a bit more and making sure you aren't using your HOB as a CO2 reactor.... Having a separate inline CO2 reactor is desirable.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a small Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Powerhead. I just purchased a nano glass diffuser from amazon. If I place the glass diffuser underneath the powerhead, will this increase my diffusion efficiency compared to what I am doing now?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanincident View Post
I have a small Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Powerhead. I just purchased a nano glass diffuser from amazon. If I place the glass diffuser underneath the powerhead, will this increase my diffusion efficiency compared to what I am doing now?

In theory, it would. Again, check your drop checker to make sure. The problem is that you would get too many tiny bubbles. Your tank water would look like 7 Up. What you can is to attach a foam filter sleeve on to the nose of the power head. This will trap all the tiny bubbles. However, your flow rate would be reduced somewhat.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Here's a funny one - my red root floaters are curved. Thus, any CO2 bubbles that make it to the surface get caught inder the leaves and just stay there for a long time, which I'm guessing helps with diffusion time into the water. I have a HOB filter too, and the floaters gravitate towards the flow. I fence them off the actual point of entry, and so they all hang out at the point of most attraction - the same place where the CO2 bubbles end up trying to go. Natural gas catchers!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode