peat moss for plants?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
(hagen) fluval makes this peat moss stuff for filters,and i was reading th back of the box and it said you could aslo use it for plants...it said to take small amounts and put it under the roots of plants,and the plants will take the nutrients out of the moss (or something)...i work at the pet store so i took it and am gunna try it...has anyone used this stuff in that way before...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 06:04 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy
ive heard of something like that but never researched anything into it...please post back and tell me how it works!

10 gallon low-tech Betta bowl...for now.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:24 AM

I'm pretty sure it will work. Here in Denmark a company called Prodac produces special peat moss for substrate. You just place a layer of it and then put gravel over it. It's called Humus. Never tried it, but it should be just as good as flourite, and also lover the Ph.

Good luck.

PS: Prepare for black water

- Glud

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:35 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've been reading a lot on peat moss these past couple of days to try and lower my tanks GH. I did come across a good link for all kinds of peat related stuff. Theres a guy who set up a tank in just that way and apparently the tanks been running for 4 years with the same substrate. Peat has a good CER (cation exchange rate) which allows it to store and release nutrients much like flourite or kitty litter. Its good reading. I learned a lot about peat.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 03:11 PM

Interesting article. I like the way that Mark prepares his water. But i dont like yellow/brown water, so i will do it with CO2. As i havent got my planted tank up yet, i have no experience with CO2. Hpw much does it lower the Gh and the Ph?

- Glud
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 04:04 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Co2 won't do a thing to lower GH or KH. It only lowers your ph. It'll lower your ph just about as much as you want it to. But there is a limit to how much your fish can take before they get uncomfortable or die. Levels up to 30-35 ppm of co2 should be safe for most fish. Most non co2 supplemented tanks have a co2 level of 1-2ppm, which is equivalent to the level of co2 in the atmosphere.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

if you add small amounts under the roots,it shouldent turn the water yellow should it??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like some driftwood, it will color the water at first, but as water changes are done, the water will get clearer and clearer. This is because the wood is releasing stuff that colors the water, but that stuff isn't in unlimited amounts. Eventually, it gets to such a small amount that when the log has released enough of the stuff into the water to be at equilibrium (equal amounts in water and log) you won't be able to tell in the water! I think a similiar thing will happen with peat, but not if you continually replace it...

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

so when i add a new plant should i just bury some peat under the gravel as i would do the plants roots or stem...?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that is a lot easier said than done! How would you plan on getting the peat there when the tank is full of water?

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

the peat is held togather good,the stuff i have is, so you would just get a small amount and then berry it under the gravel where the plants roots would or will be...i dont know...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode